What is in this blood substance in this shell-less egg?!?

Jmccauley

Chirping
Jun 14, 2021
Y'all, I don't even know what to search in Google to find an idea. This ((shell-less)) egg was laid today AND I DO NOT HAVE A ROOSTER. I don't know what girl laid it. I bought 15 adult hens in April since then I have lost four hens. 1 to sour crop and 3 to internal laying. I have these girls on layer food. They have access to oyster shells and used eggshells all the time and they free range from 9:00 in the morning to 9:00 in the evening anyways that is beside the point, It was just for reference that this whole batch of hens seems to be bad but they don't have any other signs of any disease or illnesses I'm kind of at a loss. And the other reason I mentioned that I had bought them from someone who did have a rooster.

I put on rubber gloves and felt what came out of this egg It was almost like organ texture It was hard like a chicken liver or something similar I'm at a loss I have no idea what the hell this is.

Attachments

• PXL_20210622_012321030.jpg
    PXL_20210622_012321030.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 33
Blood clots.
That first pic sure has the shape of an embryo...but unless that egg was sitting under a broody have for a couple weeks(and with that soft shell is seriously doubt it), that is not what it is.

It really does look like an embryo as @aart suggested; was the egg just recently laid? I know chickens can hold onto sperm from a rooster for several weeks, but the egg would have had to have started to be incubated by a broody in order to develop. So I’m just curious as to when the egg was laid and how quickly it was collected; so you currently have any broodies?

I know that I know it is not an embryo. I do not have a rooster, she hasn't been around a rooster since April. It was collected the same day it was laid. So I'm the first picture of the post I can totally get on board with blood clots. But the second picture, that big round piece, the texture and consistency is not like any blood clot I've ever seen. It for real feels like a liver or gizzard.
But let's say it is just a massive blood clot. What does this mean? The girl I got them from said they were just over a year old.

But the second picture, that big round piece, the texture and consistency is not like any blood clot I've ever seen. It for real feels like a liver or gizzard.
Over to the right, the tannish piece?
Might be lash material(infection).
Cut it in half for closer inspection.
Both the lash and the clots could be due to a reproductive tract infection.

Sounds like you got a bum batch of birds. :(
What breed are they?
Did you see the environment they are living in previously?

Over to the right, the tannish piece?
Might be lash material(infection).
Cut it in half for closer inspection.
Both the lash and the clots could be due to a reproductive tract infection.

Sounds like you got a bum batch of birds. :(
What breed are they?
Did you see the environment they are living in previously?
The tannish piece you are seeing, could it be straw? I don't see anything but the straw to the right. But if it's possible there is infection going on I guess ill

I don't know why I just half of my comment posted but anyways yeah I guess I'll just start the whole flock on some antibiotics to try to fix this and yes definitely seems like a bad batch but thier living environment before seemed ideal. Free range huge run didn't seem over crowded but who knows how many she sold before I got mine

That was actually clear like egg white. I put rubber gloves on a practically dissected the whole thing trying to figure out what I was looking at

Back
Top Bottom