What is inside your small coop? Any pics?

5chicks4us

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Our coop is 4X4 and the girls just spent their first night out there last night. As I'm putting them in with their food and water, I'm wondering how in the heck am I supposed to fit a hanging waterer, hanging feeder, roosts, and a nesting box inside this thing? My neighbor's coop is even smaller and they don't have roosts at all. Do chickens need roosts?

We haven't installed the nesting box or the roosts yet, nor do we have a hanging feeder or waterer yet. I just needed to get them out of their brooder asap because it was getting way too small for my four ladies. My husband isn't worried about this, but I'm the resident worry wart in the house.

Does anyone have any pics of the inside of their smallish coops so I could take a peek at them?

Nest boxes
87534_house_and_chicks_4-25_051.jpg

Roost
87534_house_and_chicks_4-25050.jpg

Size of hen house
87534_chicken_coop_and_yard_3-27-11_005.jpg

Girls chillin' in their new digs
87534_house_and_chicks_4-25_015.jpg

I ended up increasing my coop to 4x6 for those very reasons. From what I have seen, folk who use a 4x4 seem to keep the water and food outside in the run.

With only four chickens you should only need one roost bar and it doesn't have to be big. We have 8 in one coop with four nesting boxes and two roost. They only use two of the nesting boxes and they all cram on to one roost. Probably one or two nesting boxes should be plenty. You can always look at the coop section on BYC. Also with only four you shouldn't need a very big waterer or feeder.

Thought I already posted it? Here it is again: W
69877_silkie_chickens_2010_052.jpg
e have 14 Silkie Chickens

My small coop (roughtly 3 x 4, currently housing 3hens) has 2 nest boxes, 2 roosts, and a ramp down to the tractor. The feeder hangs below the coop, the water is out at the far end of the little run (3 x 8). I have to figure out how to get some sort of light and heat into it for winter. I don't think much else is going to go in there. If I put anything on the floor, it would get pooped on.

89258_dscn5721.jpg

I still need to find time to install poop boards. I use stall dry pellets on the floor. Nesting boxes are covered up due to only 7 weeks old.

Last edited:
I have nothing in mine but a roost and a box with shredded paper, which was what was in their brooder. They all cram into the box at night. The waterer and feeder are in the run.

SS850015.jpg

DSCI0245.jpg

When I get around to making them, the nest boxes will go on the outside. I have several months before then.

My small coop is 4 x 5, a bit smaller than that actually, because it's insulated, so more like 17 sq. ft of indoor space. I have one roost, a dropping board (to save beddiing/floor space), and I added my nest box (elevated 17 inches so it doesn't take up floor space) to the left of the door in the 2nd picture (not in the pic).
37862_march_11_002.jpg

37862_march_11_001.jpg

ETA: I have a small feeder/waterer set on wooden blocks under my dropping board, with a bigger one outside in the run.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom