What is it??? Pendulous crop?

She has had this for months? No other symptoms?
hmm.png

yes, it seems to get a little bigger or more centralized over time but has not changed much in a while. no other symptoms except maybe funny exaggerated head movements

she eats mash. her behavior is not overly dramatic relative to the other chickens. but her head does bob up and down more than the others at times.

i would seperate her for a day from the others i know it seems cruel but i would keep food from her for that day to just to see if it goes down. so you dont deprive her completely try some yogurt. if it is sour crop it would be big and squishy and you give her bread with some type of oil on it im not sure ill try and find that and of corse yogurt

Last edited:
I know this was posted a couple months back but I thought I'd share my experiences. Hopefully your situation hasn't digressed. One of my hens (Marans) has had a pendulous crop since we got her and her sisters about 7 months ago. It took me a while to conclude she had pendulous crop issues and after tapping this phenomenal resource of Chickeneering info, I feel like I have a fair grasp of the situation...so far.

Our hen would often would have such a full crop that she would tumble over herself while trying to rush my wife and I when we feed them treats. 90% of the time her crop was squishy- like a balloon filled with jello or something, so we knew it wasn't impacted. We decided to put her in a wire dog grate and ration her food- wet pellets, yogurt, and bread crumbs soaked in olive oil. After a couple of days her crop would shrink almost half the size. We now do this with her almost every month because she will just fill it back up within a couple of days.
I've read on this board that it might be possible to employ this monitored feeding for a few months and she might be able to regain elasticity in her crop again. We end up feeling bad about putting her in jail for so long as it is...Maybe this Spring.

Anyway, just wanted to say there is a way to deal with this so long as you're willing to put in the time.

Pollo,
I'm having a similar issue with a 2 1/2 year old NHR hen. Her crop just doesn't empty and in the morning sometimes there's a hard little lump there.

She's eating, drinking a bit more than usual, scratching and running around with her flock. She's not lost condition and the only time I've seen it bother her is after she ate some scratch made of racehorse oats, hard wheat and BOSS. (I've stopped that) She just hunched up for a bit.

One problem is that she has watering, sometimes projectile, stools and sometimes she spits up some water and has been doing so for a couple of months. Sometimes there's some normal looking fecal matter in her stools. But she's acting normal despite this.

I've had her caged during the day for the past couple of days. Yesterday she got water and a bit of yogurt. Today I mixed applesauce, baby food beef, yogurt, pumpkin, a small bit of digestive powder, and a small amount of Karo syrup and fed her small meals throughout the day. She went to bed after a snack of yogurt and olive oil.

I have to leave town and my chicken sitter won't care for her like this so I'm hoping that she'll be okay. I've read the posts on how to get them to vomit up a clogged crop and I just don't think I can do that. I'm hoping that the ACV in the water and the yogurt will help.

I'm wondering if their crop ever goes back into shape.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom