What is it!?

gamefowl guy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 21, 2011
My computer
Mid December some of my young birds started "gurgling" at night. It sounded like water in the lungs, or a crackling noise. They were 2-3 months old. It started because I had poor ventilation in the coop they were in, I know that for a fact. Lincomycin-Spectinomycin was ineffective (for 8 days). Then it spread through my adult birds too. Tylan Soluble worked, but a few days after they were off it the ones that didn't have it before started getting it (with a few of the ones that had it before getting it AGAIN). The older birds that got it had "rales" I guess you would call it, either abnormal breathing or gurgling at night or both.

After Tylan, it came back not as strong, and the birds that caught it didn't show symoptoms for real long, and it was more gurgling some at night. I sent one of the birds that was showing symptoms (It was only gurgling at night) to get it necropsied, and so far the mycoplasma, bacterial, newcastle/bronchitis all have come back negative. Everything except for the virus isolations (I won't know them for another few weeks.)

At this point I don't really know what to do. I absolutely will not sell any of the birds. I have started culling all birds I can to cut back on feed costs since I can't sell any. I just got some geese this spring from my friend and though they showed no respiratory symptoms I assume if it is a virus they would carry it too. It would really kill me if I had to cull my geese.

Now non of the birds are showing any sickness symptoms that I have noticed. Occasionally one will sneeze a little more then normal, but other then that nothing. That is why I am assuming it is a virus, going through my flock like that.

I am really considering just depopulating (which I might have to do) and starting over. I enjoy breeding and raising and selling birds, not keeping them as pets. But anyway, anyone have any suggestions as to what a disease like this might be? Other then the abnormal breathing the birds are not lethargic in the least. If you didn't notice any of the respiratory symptoms they would appear normal. I noticed only one with a little bit of a runny nose that went away in a few days. They sneeze occasionally. They appear fine now. Thanks for any help.

Sorry if all that was rambly . . . I guess the real question I can't find an answer too is:

ARE ALL VIRAL INFECTIONS CHRONIC (do they pass on to the chicks), or are there some that don't? I know the adults will be carriers, but again, is it chronic? Thanks again

Could it be a fungus? They're not always contagious but if your coop had poor ventilation, the fungus could have grown in that environment and is still releasing spores from mold you can't see. Respiratory infections usually have other symptoms, so if the raspy breathing is the only symptom, fungus is a possibility. Check Speckled Hen's thread on fungus infections in this topic (ER).

Good luck!

ETA: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-poultry-often-mistaken-for-crd-mycoplasmosis

Last edited:
Could you link to Speckled Hens page on fungus for me? I would like to read that. Thanks for the info!

I doubt it could be fungus though, because it spread to my adult birds who are in coops 50-100 feet away, and their coops are well ventilated.

Back
Top Bottom