What is killing my chickens? Help!

She stays in an outdoor coop with a flock mate she gets along with so she’s not lonely.

while the other 4 are in the outdoor run.

Food: organic layer feed pellets she used to love, wet or dry.

Treats: it’s by the brand flock party and it has black sunflower seeds, and a few other grains. I give her about a tablespoon a day as she won’t eat mash or pellets.

The coop is large for just the two birds. It has 3 sides ventilated with hardware cloth

We live in central tx and it’s been 104-106 everyday with heat index of probably 110 ish. Two water changes daily to keep the water temps cool enough for them. Frozen water bottles for them to stand on to keep cool.

I would say it’s been about 10 days of her wanting to plop down and just sit down. She eats like that too if she’s standing for too long to eat or drink. She still preens, but she’s not herself at all.
Thank you for replying with descriptions. I'm leaning towards heat stroke.

Thank you for replying with descriptions. I'm leaning towards heat stroke.
Does heat stroke present in bright green poops? Hm…and should I be moving the chickens indoors? I don’t have safe electrical wiring to run a fan out there. Also, does heat stroke also give them a death time stamp of 7-1 days and less use of legs?

Thank you so so much for this! I will ge the direct vitamins as well. I do have rooster booster electrolytes and manna pro brand electrolytes which smells super sweet like marshmallows. They’ve been in heat stress all summer with some provisions I provide to keep cool. They are 100% shaded in the run and they also like to be under the coop that is within the shaded run
You're very welcome!

It has been a huge summer, never ending. And so covering the basics is more important in this sort of endless heat--good water and shade, good vitamin and mineral support. And you're doing everything right! :) (I did not mean to sound patronizing before, either, about shade and sprinklers, just stating the obvious to cover all bases--but you have that all covered big time!)

And super sweet like marshmallows? I want some, please!

Ill add to the heat stroke idea these points, which I don't see in video but here they are if they are happening:

Recognizing Heat Stroke in Chickens
  • Severe lethargy- characterized by immobility and poor body posture, the chicken may even have a hard time standing on its own.
  • Heavy panting- more noticeable when compared to other flockmates.
  • Holding wings away from body
  • Extreme body heat.
  • Staggering.
  • Disorientation.
  • Seizures.

I would imagine heat stroke has the same symptoms for most animals and humans, it can have a fatal effect.

It very hard on chickens cause of there feathers and some breeds have more feathers. Basically they're wearing a coat year round and the hot weather affects there health. If they don't cool down there health and vital functions start to break down and eventually die.

I would imagine heat stroke has the same symptoms for most animals and humans
No, well maybe. I don't usually hold my wings away from my body.

Yes. It can be fatal, but the signs are consistent with multi-systemic dysfunction and shut-down across all susceptible species.

No, well maybe. I don't usually hold my wings away from my body.

Yes. It can be fatal, but the signs are consistent with multi-systemic dysfunction and shut-down across all susceptible species.
Should I bring in the one that is the most troubled looking? The one that sleeps the most and does not want to use her legs? To see if she improves?

Should I bring in the one that is the most troubled looking? The one that sleeps the most and does not want to use her legs? To see if she improves?
I would bring her in and give her special attention, like a makeshift ICU. If she is especially lethargic then have her food and her water close by to her and that will help a lot. Poor lil lamby.

Back
Top Bottom