What is killing my chickens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked on her again, and she seemed to be perkier. I was thinking of separating her, and if I see more listlessness like the other birds, I'm going to separate her immediately. From what I've searched, it sounds like it could be Marek's or Air-Sac Disease. Although, so many diseases are similar that it's difficult to diagnose a specific disease. But, whether my hen is current sick or not, I would still like to know what killed those to chicks earlier this year to prevent that from happening to other birds. I know that I thought maybe I switched the last batch of chicks on layer pellets too early, is that possible? I know that the only birds that have been affected by this have been from 12-16 weeks. None of my older birds got sick. Also, the incubation period was really long, which leads me to think that it may not be a virus.

Here is the second chick that got this earlier this year. I thought maybe it could be easier to tell what is going on by a picture. This is what she did all day.
Any sick bird should be quarantined immediately.
She looks sick.
Some viruses act fast, others do not. Incubation period for Mareks is 2 weeks. Incubation period for Lymphoid Leukosis is 14 weeks.
All states have a lab that can necropsy poultry.
It's definitely possible to switch to layer too soon. A bird not producing egg shells shouldn't be getting a diet that is 4% calcium. At what age did you switch to layer and at what age did they start laying? Though this doesn't sound like what you're dealing with.

How long has it been since you wormed the chickens? What did you use? The picturs looks like coccidia may be part of the problem.

I have never wormed my chickens, and when the chickens where, I kept an eye on their droppings. There was no difference. If they did have Coccidiosis, there would have been a change in droppings.
Any sick bird should be quarantined immediately.
She looks sick.
Some viruses act fast, others do not. Incubation period for Mareks is 2 weeks. Incubation period for Lymphoid Leukosis is 14 weeks.
All states have a lab that can necropsy poultry.
It's definitely possible to switch to layer too soon. A bird not producing egg shells shouldn't be getting a diet that is 4% calcium. At what age did you switch to layer and at what age did they start laying? Though this doesn't sound like what you're dealing with.
That picture earlier was the one who became lame and died in April, I have not taken a picture of the one that could be sick currently. I usually switch my chicks over to layer pellets earlier than most, the one batch that most of the chicks died, I switched them over at about 12 weeks, my chicks now I switched over at about 14 weeks, which I read that you should switch them over at 14 weeks. 12 weeks is a bit earlier, so that's why I was thinking that could have been the case. I just checked on my bird again, she seemed to be looking around, but she wasn't running around with the other chickens like she always does. Is it possible that she could have gotten heat stroke or something? She doesn't look really sick, but she seems to just be low of energy.

I just checked on her again, and she seemed to be perkier. I was thinking of separating her, and if I see more listlessness like the other birds, I'm going to separate her immediately. From what I've searched, it sounds like it could be Marek's or Air-Sac Disease. Although, so many diseases are similar that it's difficult to diagnose a specific disease. But, whether my hen is current sick or not, I would still like to know what killed those to chicks earlier this year to prevent that from happening to other birds. I know that I thought maybe I switched the last batch of chicks on layer pellets too early, is that possible? I know that the only birds that have been affected by this have been from 12-16 weeks. None of my older birds got sick. Also, the incubation period was really long, which leads me to think that it may not be a virus.

Here is the second chick that got this earlier this year. I thought maybe it could be easier to tell what is going on by a picture. This is what she did all day.

I'm kind of thinking possibly Cocci as well, or possibly worms.
If the bird is listless, not eating and drinking little, I would consider pulling out a scale that can also deal in ounces, and track weight on paper, as a chicken's weight can go down drastically and very quickly. At any sign of this, I would be weighing and comparing oz weight each meal, and offering wet scrambled eggs, or tube feeding.

We had a 6 month old cockerel who came down with worm overload (right after being wormed). Immediately he became very ill. He showed the signs you're describing. He lost one lb in only a few days, so he went from 7 lbs to 6. Kathy explained how to tube feed, and it took a good week to get him through this listless period, then, he had his second worming, he did tremendously better. Then we had to retrain him how to eat normally again after the sickness was over. We had fed him enough that he had even gained a lb.! I fed him wet scrambled eggs whenever he wanted them at first. He did not have secondary infections.

He's a healthy rooster now, around 8 1/2 lbs. when last checked.

I have never wormed my chickens, and when the chickens where, I kept an eye on their droppings. There was no difference. If they did have Coccidiosis, there would have been a change in droppings.
That picture earlier was the one who became lame and died in April, I have not taken a picture of the one that could be sick currently. I usually switch my chicks over to layer pellets earlier than most, the one batch that most of the chicks died, I switched them over at about 12 weeks, my chicks now I switched over at about 14 weeks, which I read that you should switch them over at 14 weeks. 12 weeks is a bit earlier, so that's why I was thinking that could have been the case. I just checked on my bird again, she seemed to be looking around, but she wasn't running around with the other chickens like she always does. Is it possible that she could have gotten heat stroke or something? She doesn't look really sick, but she seems to just be low of energy.

You probably just discovered one of your problems. I don't know where you possibly could have read to switch chickens to layer feed at 14 weeks. The earliest I've read on a bag of layer feed was 18 weeks but usually say 'at onset of lay'.
Even large commercial egg farms can lose huge numbers of pullets to gout and lithiasis when they switch to layer at 18 weeks and they are on a strict lighting regimen to kick start laying at the same time.
Switching pullets to a 4% calcium diet at 12 or even 14 weeks is a recipe for disaster.

http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/64/12/2300.abstract

http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/67/12/1694.abstract

http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/chicken_gout.html

Last edited:
I would really suggest you separate her from the others. I usually put any bird that seems to be behaving oddly in a cat carrier with bedding and put her in a room in the house and shut the door so the cats can't get to her. Sometimes having free access to water and food (no harassment) or being out of the heat brings them around in 12-36 hours. I'm not sure it would work with this one, as she's so sick. I often give my sick girls a wet mash...just regular feed mixed with water or electrolyte and probiotic solution (or powder). They love it and eat quite a bit which seems to give them some strength.

I agree with ChickenCanoe - even 14 weeks is too early for layer pellets. If I have a mix of older birds and non-laying pullets then I keep them all on standard non-layer feed with free choice oyster shell alongside. Once the first of the pullets starts to lay, (which can be any time between 20 - 24 weeks, or even later depending on the breed) I switch back to layer pellets. That way I know that I am not force feeding them calcium too early on, as I have read how bad this can be for them.

I'm kind of thinking possibly Cocci as well, or possibly worms.
If the bird is listless, not eating and drinking little, I would consider pulling out a scale that can also deal in ounces, and track weight on paper, as a chicken's weight can go down drastically and very quickly. At any sign of this, I would be weighing and comparing oz weight each meal, and offering wet scrambled eggs, or tube feeding.

We had a 6 month old cockerel who came down with worm overload (right after being wormed). Immediately he became very ill. He showed the signs you're describing. He lost one lb in only a few days, so he went from 7 lbs to 6. Kathy explained how to tube feed, and it took a good week to get him through this listless period, then, he had his second worming, he did tremendously better. Then we had to retrain him how to eat normally again after the sickness was over. We had fed him enough that he had even gained a lb.! I fed him wet scrambled eggs whenever he wanted them at first. He did not have secondary infections.

He's a healthy rooster now, around 8 1/2 lbs. when last checked.
That's great that he's all better! I feed my chickens scrambled eggs frequently already, so I will continue to do so. I will see if we have a scale I can weigh them on. The only thing is that the chicken that could be ill is a bantam so it's a bit trickier.

You probably just discovered one of your problems. I don't know where you possibly could have read to switch chickens to layer feed at 14 weeks. The earliest I've read on a bag of layer feed was 18 weeks but usually say 'at onset of lay'.
Even large commercial egg farms can lose huge numbers of pullets to gout and lithiasis when they switch to layer at 18 weeks and they are on a strict lighting regiment to kick start laying at the same time.
Switching pullets to a 4% calcium diet at 12 or even 14 weeks is a recipe for disaster.

http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/64/12/2300.abstract

http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/67/12/1694.abstract

http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/chicken_gout.html
I can't remember what book it was, it was one of the first I read. I've only read one book that said you should switch the birds over at 20+ weeks.

I would really suggest you separate her from the others. I usually put any bird that seems to be behaving oddly in a cat carrier with bedding and put her in a room in the house and shut the door so the cats can't get to her. Sometimes having free access to water and food (no harassment) or being out of the heat brings them around in 12-36 hours. I'm not sure it would work with this one, as she's so sick. I often give my sick girls a wet mash...just regular feed mixed with water or electrolyte and probiotic solution (or powder). They love it and eat quite a bit which seems to give them some strength.
Yeah, I'm just not the biggest fan of quarantining my chickens by them selves because they--well--they almost go crazy. Sometimes hens that I quarantine crow, lol.

I agree with ChickenCanoe - even 14 weeks is too early for layer pellets. If I have a mix of older birds and non-laying pullets then I keep them all on standard non-layer feed with free choice oyster shell alongside. Once the first of the pullets starts to lay, (which can be any time between 20 - 24 weeks, or even later depending on the breed) I switch back to layer pellets. That way I know that I am not force feeding them calcium too early on, as I have read how bad this can be for them.
Hmm, that's weird. I had always heard to switch them over at 14 weeks until earlier this year. I'll have to do that next time.

Nutrient Requirements of Poultry: Ninth Revised Edition, 1994
http://www.nap.edu/catalog/2114.html
p. 22
The committee's review of research on the changes in metabolism of medullary bone immediately prior to maturity has
led to reevaluation of the pullets' requirement for calcium at this time. Since modern egg-strain pullets exhibit a rapid increase
in egg production and prolonged first multiegg clutch, it is obvious that a change in the requirements related to calcification
must be accommodated before or at time of first egg. Keshavarz (1987) indicated that feeding a diet containing 3.5 percent
calcium from as early as 14 weeks of age had no adverse effect on skeletal integrity, apparent renal function, or subsequent
reproductive performance. Leeson et al. (1986, 1987a) also observed normal pullet development, skeletal integrity, and
kidney histology when immature 19-week-old pullets were fed diets containing 3.5 percent calcium. These same workers
indicated that calcium levels of 0.9 to 1.5 percent at this age were detrimental to early shell quality. In studies in which
pullets were allowed to self-select nutrients, Classen and Scott (1982) showed that the birds consumed calcium in relation to
needs for deposition of medullary bone and (or) onset of shell calcification.

granted, this was 1994.

The reference is valid, however that research is based on commercial egg farms where the pullets are raised with an 8 hour day till 16 weeks of age when it is gradually increased inducing ovulation of the entire flock within 2 weeks of each other. Backyard keepers and small holders don't have that control and can't predict if their birds are going to lay at 18 weeks or 30 weeks. Most of these small holders also don't keep bovans or hy-line hybrids either, which most egg farms use.

http://www.hyline.com/aspx/products/productinformation.aspx

Last edited:
If you don't quarantine sick chickens you risk spreading it to the rest of the flock which is preventable. I doubt she'll go crazy if she's barely functioning. The more stress that's put on her in a group when she's not feeling good will just make it harder and take longer to recuperate. For her sake and the rest of your flock you should separate her. Make her comfy and focus on her care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom