What is killing my chickens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned air sac disease. If they mean Aspergillosis, that would be a good guess. They can get that at any age, but with chicks it probably kills them faster. They do not have to have respiratory symptoms.

I don't know what your methods are for keeping chickens, but I would disinfect the coop with something like Virkon. Mine get it from the heat and humidity here, and shavings that may have had to be replaced more frequently.

I would certainly send a fresh dead chicken for a necropsy. Casportpony has a link on her posts to how to do it, and she can give you the address where to send it. You may want to send it to a lab to save your chickens.

Many viruses, like Marek's are everywhere and no bird contact is necessary.

If your Japanese rooster has been anywhere near your sick bird or you haven't bathed and changed clothes between contact with the quarantined bird and the rest of your birds don't show any of them. People could be quite angry if they knew you were showing birds when you had an unknown serious illness in your flock.
You're just beginning and have lots of time to show birds. Go to the show and enjoy it but don't wear any of the clothes you work your chickens in, including shoes.
I don't think this is Marek's I'm dealing with, I looked through the symptoms and it doesn't match. I will be bathing all my chickens tomorrow for show, so they will be cleaner that way. I'm not too worried about my chickens being carriers of whatever they have, because when this illness was in my flock before, it did not seem to be contagious.

Someone mentioned air sac disease. If they mean Aspergillosis, that would be a good guess. They can get that at any age, but with chicks it probably kills them faster. They do not have to have respiratory symptoms.

I don't know what your methods are for keeping chickens, but I would disinfect the coop with something like Virkon. Mine get it from the heat and humidity here, and shavings that may have had to be replaced more frequently.

I would certainly send a fresh dead chicken for a necropsy. Casportpony has a link on her posts to how to do it, and she can give you the address where to send it. You may want to send it to a lab to save your chickens.
I mentioned air-sac disease but I believe that is totally different from Aspergillosis. Aspergillosis is a fungus, I believe. Air-Sac disease is caused by bacteria. I'm so flustered, I wish I could just figure out what my chickens has, it seems like everyone thinks it's something different
barnie.gif

I don't think you are dealing with it either. I just used it as an example that your birds could contract a virus without being in contact with other birds.

It did not SEEM to be contagious?
Whatever they have?
You have no clue what is ailing your seriously ill chicken - that has been housed with the rest of your flock.
And you still plan on taking birds to a show?
All I can say is - shame on you.

Theoretically, it could be a reportable disease that you would be responsible for spreading across the country causing millions of birds to be destroyed and impacting the poultry industry to the tune of billions of dollars. Not to mention the black eye it would give the backyard chicken and small holder community.

That's exactly how disease is spread. Irresponsible animal husbands. The problem is in the bird, not necessarily on the feathers.

I guess I'm done here.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I totally agree with Enola and ChickenCanoe - it would be more than irresponsible to take any of your birds to a show this weekend. Unless you know exactly what your girl has got you cannot be certain that it is not contagious. Your other birds could easily be carrying something and pass it on to every other bird in the show. It is very hard to have to withdraw from a competition you have entered, but I am certain that every other owner there will respect you far more for doing so than they will if you win a prize but also risk spreading a disease. In the end it's only one show out of the many that you will enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom