What is killing my flock?? GRAPHIC PIC

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by protodon, Oct 7, 2009.

1. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Okay I originally thought I was losing my birds to a hawk. This started on Monday. So far I have lost 1 juvenile chicken, 1 1.5 month old duckling and a full grown hen. The chickens were eaten on only one side. The duckling just had head and legs left. I found all of these under trees or under some kind of cover. I could clearly tell the duckling was caught in one place and eaten somewhere else. Actually it was eaten in the same place I found today's victim which si what the picture is of. I leave the house at 8am. It is very light by then and I get home by 4 or 5. This happens somewhere between that time. At this rate, I won't have any chickens left in a few weeks. I thought it was a hawk originally and yesterday I hung lines across my yard and put out some windsocks and things. There is no way it's a hawk. It's killing these animals in covered areas. Does anyone have any ideas? I've had a fox kill a goose and a chicken before I started locking them up at night. I have never had a problem like this before during the day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I am so very sorry for your loss.

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    could it be a skunk? they hunt around sun down, and at night. Found a skunk eating my baby chick a week ago... [​IMG]

We also have great horned owls who take my chickens...

4. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    I'm going to guess dog. Anything else wouldn't leave scraps

5. protodon

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I don't know about it being a dog. My entire yard is fenced with fence at least 4 feet high. I'm not saying a dog couldn't possibly jump that but this whatever seems pretty stealthy. I would imagine I would see a dog hanging around too. They aren't trying to hide from people like wild animals. I was going to tie my dogs out today to deter whatever it is but it was raining this morning.

6. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    For your young birds, I would have said a cat, but no way since a full grown hen was taken. I don't think it's a hawk, but I don't know what it could be. I would lock them in a secure run until you can figure out what's doing this!

Sorry about your babies.

7. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    My guess would be a young coon, just learning to kill - with his nights and days mixed up. We've had young ones try to go after our chickens in the early to mid morning. One of them grabbed a rooster and caused a wound on his back...the bird survived...the coon didn't.

8. protodon

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I might should keep them locked up for the day I guess. Their coop is a bit cramped but it would be better than losing one everyday. I would like to be home when it happens so I can see what it is and how to deal with it. I wish this had started on a friday, darnit.

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    My guess is a coon or fox.

10. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    i don't know how many chickens you have but could you build them a run? Chances are now that whatever has gotten them will continue to come back, even if you lock them up for a couple days. The predator knows where a free meal is...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by