What is madder than a wet hen?

Dogfish

Rube Goldberg incarnate
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Western Washington
24 wet CX and 2 BBB turkeys.

Big rainstorm over the past two days, and I learned something important. Face the covered end of the tractor to the weather. They were wet and dirty, so one by one, I cleaned them up in the shop sink, spraying them off gently, then soaping them down lightly, and then giving them a very good rinse. They were not pleased. Not pleased at all. They look 100 times better, and the water beads up on their feathers again. I didn't take a picture of them dirty, but here is one after the bath.
0602002134.jpg

and 2 hours later after they had dried.
0602002312.jpg

Happy dry chickens and turkeys

Bossroo

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
To asnwer the question of what is madder than a wet hen... the owner of said wet hen !!!
duc.gif

mainemomof2

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
I had never thought of washing the chickens. Is this something that you do whenever they get/look dirty?

Dogfish

Rube Goldberg incarnate
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Western Washington
The dark birds are turkeys. I separated out the turkeys and two of the runt CX, and put them in the separation pen.

The reason I washed them is that it got so wet in their tractor that the poo turned to liquid, and they were a light brown. Just trying to keep them alive for another 2 weeks, and they were certainly much happier.

Top Bottom