What is molting? Is this what is happening to my ducks?

1234duck

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Upper Lake, California
I have been meaning to ask, what is molting? Is it when your ducks lose a lot of feathers? Do chickens do the same? TODAY WAS THE WORST that I've seen so many larger type feathers in my Rouen Drakes pen. They are the feathers that are suppose to be on his wings. A few big all white feathers, a bunch of feathers which are brown & the other feathers have blue on them. Now that i think about it, I'm not sure that I had even seen any more feathers with blue on them, left on his body. It just seem so strange b/c the feathers are larger ones that belong on his wings.~ My first thought was that some thing was attacking him. In a different post I was told, yes it is normal for the drakes to change colors (darker feathers) at this time but, does that include losing a bunch of feathers too? Each day I have also noticed that the green on his head is disappearing, today almost all the green is gone. Thanks, ~Julie~

Molting occurs naturally when it is time for them to grow new feathers. They drop their existing feathers and begin growing new ones. Some lose a lot at one time others it is gradually. A hard molt is when they lose a lot or almost all their feathers at one time. Make sure you are feeding the ducks extra greens like peas, lettuces and kale....and if you can get some feeder goldfish for them once per week and let them chase them in a pool, that would be great for them too. Their nutrional needs increase when they are motling.

Chickens molt too...most birds do. My ducks are molting right now as well, they will be beautiful again in a few weeks.

Last edited:
In the first year, a duck undergoes 3 body molts, after the first year, 2 body molts. Years, they amolt all winf feathers simultaneously and are flightless for about 1 month.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom