What is more important-A good hatcher or a good incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Solsken Farm, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I need a hatcher. I had purchased eggs and some of the sellers did not send them when they said they would. So I had to stagger my hatch in one incubator. What would you recommend? I have about 10 days to find something, order it and get it here. I have NO faith in my wiring skills to do a homemade one, although I would like to. I am hatching some Wellies, Orps, and Cuckoo Marans.

Thoughts?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    A styrofoam Hovabator or LG would work fine. I have one of each and personally like the Hovabator better, but it's just personal preference.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    That's the nice thing about a GQF Sportsman, staggered hatches are no problem. You just take the tray from the turner rack and put in the bottom hatching tray. When we are "hot n heavy" hatching in the spring we hatch about one tray a week.

Steve in NC

4. Solsken Farm

Yes, they are in a genesis, but I have to get one more. I know you weren't pleased with your LG. How did it go for your hatch?

I am wondering if an LG would be okay for the last 3 days, as they are cheap and I could buy one locally.

Would a still air be fine?

I hate to spend another $150, if I don't have to. I could have bought a sportsman, if I go and buy yet another one.

I am trying to figure out what is the most critical part of the hatching process. IThe first 18 days or the last 3.....

5. Solsken Farm

Quote:Yes, I know. I would love one. I tried getting one off of ebay, but I kept getting outbid, and did not want to pay over $500 for a used one (which they were with shipping) I had eggs coming and needed one pronto. I could sell my 3 bators and use the money to get a sportsman over the winter. It is hard to snag one used and I just can't spend $750 right now.

I need a short term solution for the current hatch. Preferrably a cheaper solution, but heck, I went to the trouble of buying and incubating, so I would like the best hatch as possible.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    How far apart are they stagered? Is it possible for you to take the turner out and hand turn?
    If they aren't staggered too far, you could go ahead and hatch them in the bator you have now. I had to do this with my first few hatches, and it worked out ok. Just make sure after they hatch to remove them pronto, and lower the humidity back down. You don't need it to be too high, around 55-60 would be fine. Mine all hatch like this.

But to agree with prior posts, the LG would be a good idea, and they are under $50. I use one for hatching and incubating.

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Once my LG FINALLY stabilized it's been fine. I haven't had to mess with it much at all, except when the outside temp plumeted. Once I got use to it it's not that bad. But I still like my Hovabator better!

8. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    I have the same trouble. We started some seabrights and silkies on friday put 10 del whites in monday will be putting more eggs in today. Im thinking about building one of the cooler bators for hatching what does the temp and humidity need to be in a hatcher. Any sugestions thanks.

9. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have a still air Hova bator as a hatcher. I think a cooler bator or anything that holds heat and humidity well would work. It certainly makes staggered hatches easier.

10. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    I'm in the same boat right now. Set eggs 1 week apart.
    Questions:

How do I deal with turning the second set of eggs during the last 3 days when you shouldn't open the bator no matter what?

How will the increased humidity affect the second hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by