What is my chickens problem

Thechickmama

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 2, 2013
Fort Collins, co
The other day my ameracona was pacing into the chickencoop tho the run then to the chickencoop then the run ect.
what is the problem? after a while she stoped paceing, but then she was just looking at a egg and she looked zooned out then she'd fluff her feathers than zone out again.

As a precaution I'd get her on SuperBoost right now, its a mixture of vitamins/minerals and a general antibiotic. She sounds confused, the cause could be a sickness coming on or just that she is vitamin deficient in something. SuperBoost must be give every 24 hours - 1/2 tsp to 1 gallon water and watch her for the same and other signs of sickness.

Check her body over for any physical signs like swellings, drainage from her eyes or beak, check the color of her poop and check her vent area and under her wings for lice; you'd have to check her for mites at night with a flashlight, that's when they come out to feed on her. IF she has lice or mites, treat immediately with Sevin Poultry Dust and supplement her diet with Poultry Nutri Drench to make sure she's getting the vitamins, etc she needs.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Happy Chooks. Mine do this when they are about to lay an egg. Or at least thinking about laying an egg. :)

No reason to start throwing supplements at her.

More info please:
How old is she?
Is she laying yet?
How many birds and how many nests do you have?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom