What is my coop's max capacity?

Course I've found it's best not to skimp on either, but provide more than the oft cited 4sqft(0.38sqm) per bird in coop / 10sqft(0.93sqm) per bird in run.
Agreed.

Me too, and one coop are free range and the other coop has a quarter acre run lol... I can't sacrifice coop space, especially in winter here; they start getting cabin fever from being "cooped up" together when it storms
sad.png

They don't even venture more than 5' from the door on days like that
wink.png
I find that behavioral problems are apt to start in the winter, even with more than the recommended space. My flock hated going out in the snow, but would venture out onto the path if I tossed some hay or litter on the "white stuff"... It's also good if they have a fun destination to go to in the winter. In my case, I had a green house for them the first winter, with about 6" of leaves to shuffle through, and the second winter, they had a 8 x 6 tractor covered with plastic, nice solar gain. Will have the green house available for their scrounging and dust bathing pleasure again this winter. They also need lots of distracting activities. Scratch, leaves to dig through, fodder.

We try, we learn, we adjust
wink.png
Yes, it is a learning process for all of us!!!

Back
Top Bottom