What is my dog mixed with?

impounded

Hatching
Apr 20, 2016
I adopted a puppy from a shelter and they said she was a lab mix but did not know what she was mixed with. She looks like either a lab/pit bull mix or a lab/boxer mix to me.

Looks like a pure pit actually, they like to throw the mixed term in with them due to breed discrimination. So instead of saying pit bull which freaks people out, lab mix or boxer mix sounds better.

welcome-byc.gif

I agree with the above poster. I don't see any Lab in that dog.

"Pit" is a confusing term. There are many breeds that match that description.

I do agree that shelters like to use "lab" or "boxer" in lieu of "pit mix" and they aren't wrong. Honestly, unless you know the parents or consider a DNA test, you won't really be able to tell the breeds that make up your dog. Even the DNA tests have their inaccuracies. Really, you can use your best guess. I can see why the shelter labeled her as a lab mix, as she is black and may have some lab qualities. It's hard to tell from one picture though.

I do think people tend to throw around "pit" for any blocky headed dog, which is a pet peeve of mine and causes a lot of problems with breed specific type rules.

as others have said, in today's world "pit" isn't a breed but a term that describes any dog that has a blocky head and/or a muscular build. So boxers, bulldogs, and numerous other breeds that have nothing in common with actual Pit Bull Terriers get lumped into one category.

as others have said, in today's world "pit" isn't a breed but a term that describes any dog that has a blocky head and/or a muscular build.    So boxers, bulldogs, and numerous other breeds that have nothing in common with actual Pit Bull Terriers get lumped into one category.

Yes! The term "pit" just describes a look, while the American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed.

I adopted a puppy from a shelter and they said she was a lab mix but did not know what she was mixed with. She looks like either a lab/pit bull mix or a lab/boxer mix to me.
Impounded, your sweet doggie is called a Bully Breed Mix, or BBM for short. A BBM is any short coated, small to medium sized dog with obvious bully-breed heritage.

Back
Top Bottom