What is my drake doing and what does it mean?!

MerMer

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 29, 2010
I've heard of ducks falling in love with people...and when I enter the room, my drake has been rasping, flaring his head feathers, and dilating his pupils at me. The last few days, if I enter the room and sort of surprise him, he shoots straight up into what almost looks like a standing back-bend, then starts marching around with his neck extended forward and horizontal to the ground. We're calling it his Blast-Off Torpedo move. It looks hilariously stylized and very declarative, but seems to be a compulsive behavior. To make things more confusing, he usually marches right out the door as if he's the tail end of a parade. Does this also have to do with showing off, flirting, or mating in general? Can anyone explain his behavior more specifically? Thanks!

Quote:
I have 2 little Call hens that do this to the other ducks and me as well.
I have a name for it, but I can't post it in it's entirety on here so I'll paraphrase. I call it the "I'm gonna kick your backside" stance.
As soon as I see my little gray call hen do this, look out-she's going after somebody.
Not sure what your guy has in mind, but that's what happens when my girls do that.

Sounds like a "back off!" move.

My Zehn used to run up behind me, as if to challenge me (I could hear her little feet pat on the hardwood floor). I'd turn around and lean down, and say, "Zehn!" And she would holler in my face and turn around and retreat a few steps, then turn around and holler at me again. It was kind of a no-contact game of tag.

I also have a cat who likes to play soccer with a small ball.

Thanks for your responses. He is a Rouen. 3.5 months old. And he loves sitting on my lap and flaring his forehead at me in futile flirtation attempts. It's like he's flexing his muscles to show off or something. Then he taps my lap or the ground with his beak and waits for me to bob my head. But the torpedo move...that one is a new one on me! We got him a girlfriend but she has another three weeks to mature, so he's taken her under his wing but doesn't try to mate with her. Both of them sit on my lap now, and he will get jealous if she is the only one sitting on my lap. He doesn't try to run me, her or my husband off either. Just himself, it seems. I think he's sexually frustrated and getting a little goofy.

Oh yes, I forgot to reply to the Call hens comment. Yes, I've seen my other ducks, the hens, do this before. It is a way they run others off. But this time, Mr. Wiggles, just marches mostly in circles and takes his time. It looks much more like a display rather than a real action. Is he establishing his territory?

My runner ducks do that torpedo move too. It's so funny. Out of not where they just do it. Most of the time they do it all together. It's like they are practicing something. There are 3 boys and 2 girls. They are all very bonded. Nothing will be around them when they do this. It's like a sudden urge or something. They also have a different quack with the do it. Then off they go like nothing happened.

Back
Top Bottom