What is my ducks breed???

pebbles99

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2016
Virginia
I had gone to a hatchery to by pekin ducklings, but instead came home with a mixture of the cutest little ducklings you ever did see. The owner of the hatchery assured me that one duckling in my box was a Call duck. I had never heard or raised a call duck so I was eager to try this breed out. However as my call duckling got older, I noticed it didn't look like the pictures I saw on the internet. I also noticed he had very bright blue eyes, which is something I've also never seen in any of my duck breeds (I raise mallards, pekins, and Indian runners).
I know he can't be a call duck as the hatchery claimed, so what breed do y'all think he may be?

(Sorry the picture is somewhat blurred)

Wow, what a beautiful duck - I think you can find out what breed by posting on the "Duck thread." Just put that in the search box and it will come up.

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I agree that the Duck peeps will be able to help you out.

Good luck
CT

Thank you for the welcome! And my duck is almost four months. I think it might be a muscovy too. Do you know how to tell if it is a male or female??
smile.png

Hello and Welcome to Backyard chickens! I do not have ducks right now and I am not good at duck breeds, but I would check out the duck page like some here have suggested. I had a duck once though. If the tail feathers start to curl up, it is a boy, if it has a louder quack, it is a female. That is about all I know for sexing ducks. Here is the link that you can post in for people to tell you what the gender is. Have fun!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Thank you for the welcome! And my duck is almost four months. I think it might be a muscovy too. Do you know how to tell if it is a male or female?? :)   

Need some more pics... Muscovy are very difficult to sex as they don't quack like other ducks and also not having other 'scovies the same age makes it more challenging since there aren't any others to compare with... I believe males have wider leg stance, thicker, bigger legs and webs... and females have closer set legs and *I think* a longer tail... also, males get a larger red mask of caruncles on their faces...

Maybe @Miss Lydia can help? :)

Oh, and if your muscovy breeds any of your other ducks the offspring will be sterile like mules, just FYI...

Back
Top Bottom