What is my EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sadies0111, Jan 19, 2011.

1. sadies0111

sadies0111 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Here is a pic of my 4-5 month old Easter Egger. What gender is it, and how can you tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Cockeral

I can see his hackles and his sharp neck feathers. Pretty fella yah got there. [​IMG]

3. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice looking cockerel you have there. Notice his pointy neck hackles, and the shape of his tail feathers. Also his saddle hackles are beginning to grow. Looks like he will have a nice peacomb, shows the blue egg gene in his breeding.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Looks like a boy to me too. Very nice EE!

5. sadies0111

Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks for the input...I got "him" with a group of "pullets." Since early on, I've suspected him as a roo, but this is my first batch of chickens, so I really had no idea. I just thought his neck feathers looked a little different than the rest of my ladies. He hasn't crowed yet. Initially I wanted only females for eggs, but I am a little excited at the idea of breeding. Thanks!

6. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    I had a EE roo that he will turn out to look just like. He will be very handsome once he completely gets all his tail, hackle and saddle feathers.

7. sadies0111

Nov 18, 2010
    This may sound really dumb, but I am very new to chickens...will he try to breed my little silkie? If so, will that cause any issues with any offspring since she is so tiny?

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:He will attempt to mate with all female chickens, but will have his favorite(s). The offspring will be a silkie cross. Do a search in the search bar for silkie cross.

Some roos are just too heavy for bantams and can hurt them because of that- I think EE roos are usually around 6-8 lb- someone correct me if I am wrong. So not a huge roo. I certainly wouldn't want a Jersey Giant roo mating with a bantam. It wouldn't bother me to have a 6 lb roo mating with a bantam, but that's just me. [​IMG]

9. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    He will try to breed anything he thinks is a female chicken. He's a rooster, that's what they do.

You may want to be careful b/c he might be too big and too rough for a silkie, but genetically I don't think it would be a problem. You might end up with some really strange looking chicks though.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Pretty cockerel.

He'll grow up to look almost identical to one I used to have -

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by