What is my EE?

sadies0111

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
Here is a pic of my 4-5 month old Easter Egger. What gender is it, and how can you tell?

72212_012.jpg

72212_011.jpg

Nice looking cockerel you have there. Notice his pointy neck hackles, and the shape of his tail feathers. Also his saddle hackles are beginning to grow. Looks like he will have a nice peacomb, shows the blue egg gene in his breeding.

Thanks for the input...I got "him" with a group of "pullets." Since early on, I've suspected him as a roo, but this is my first batch of chickens, so I really had no idea. I just thought his neck feathers looked a little different than the rest of my ladies. He hasn't crowed yet. Initially I wanted only females for eggs, but I am a little excited at the idea of breeding. Thanks!

I had a EE roo that he will turn out to look just like. He will be very handsome once he completely gets all his tail, hackle and saddle feathers.

This may sound really dumb, but I am very new to chickens...will he try to breed my little silkie? If so, will that cause any issues with any offspring since she is so tiny?

Quote:
He will attempt to mate with all female chickens, but will have his favorite(s). The offspring will be a silkie cross. Do a search in the search bar for silkie cross.

Some roos are just too heavy for bantams and can hurt them because of that- I think EE roos are usually around 6-8 lb- someone correct me if I am wrong. So not a huge roo. I certainly wouldn't want a Jersey Giant roo mating with a bantam. It wouldn't bother me to have a 6 lb roo mating with a bantam, but that's just me.
hu.gif

He will try to breed anything he thinks is a female chicken. He's a rooster, that's what they do.

You may want to be careful b/c he might be too big and too rough for a silkie, but genetically I don't think it would be a problem. You might end up with some really strange looking chicks though.

Back
Top Bottom