What is my handsome lad a mix of?

Eddyy

Hatching
Aug 21, 2023
Hello!
I’m new on here and I have been just dying to ask what people think my handsome fella is a mix of! He was sold to us as an Easter Egger from Tractor Supply, and I don’t have a clue as to what breeds he is a mix of. I am looking into breeding with him eventually and I’d love to have some sort of idea as to what he truly is! Any suggestion is helpful! (The first picture is about a month and a half ago, the second one was only a few days ago)

Attachments

• 0D8314C8-51BA-4456-80F5-539840793AC4.jpeg
    0D8314C8-51BA-4456-80F5-539840793AC4.jpeg
    670.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 1A530485-076A-4114-80E1-35389837350B.jpeg
    1A530485-076A-4114-80E1-35389837350B.jpeg
    692.7 KB · Views: 28
I nearly missed it at first glance as well, but this cockerel does have a small tuft of crest feathers, visible just behind his comb especially in the first picture, a trait that a Bielefelder would not have. He is an Easter-egger as sold, Legbar-based rather than the traditional bearded kind. I don't know what other breeds he might have in his background, however.

I should have mentioned it as well, seeing these responses, but the other Easter eggers we got have the crests so I always figured they were cream legbar based as well. However, looking up the Bielefelder hens and roos, they looking near identical to my hens and roo. Obviously I don’t know everything he’s mixed with, but would it be safe to say he’s a Bielefelder, legbar mix?

I should have mentioned it as well, seeing these responses, but the other Easter eggers we got have the crests so I always figured they were cream legbar based as well. However, looking up the Bielefelder hens and roos, they looking near identical to my hens and roo. Obviously I don’t know everything he’s mixed with, but would it be safe to say he’s a Bielefelder, legbar mix?
No, they don’t use bielefelders in hatchery Easter egger crosses. He could be a welsummer/legbar mix. Look up welbar, a lot of different breeds come in colorations like that.

Back
Top Bottom