What is my hen dying of? Please help

worst. the straw in the box she was in is coated in lots of dark watery stuff n its allk over her rear. half on her side and weak.

From my reading it seems hernia or peritonitis are the likely diagnosis. Which unfortunately do not have treatment options. fibgers crossed! Triple C is an AB which if it is infection may help. It's $85/500g

I’m so sorry. Is she drinking? If her ascites is getting really bad, you can (temporarily) relieve it by gently poking her abdomen with a sterile needle, but you have to do it properly so you don’t injure her or introduce infection. Does anyone more experienced think this is worth trying at this point? I’m thinking of letting some fluid passively drip out and not actively pulling a large volume. The underlying condition would probably cause the ascites, if she has it, to return, but she might get enough relief to drink and eat a little.

I dont think it is any use. she is sooo weak and cant stand. also there is a black thing protruding and... MAGGOTS! i bathed her and got them off- don't know if theyve gone inside. have just covered in a towel and put her in a spare quiet cage. dont think she will last till tomorrow. i am not home to put her down.
oh life...:barnie:he:hit

@De@n I'm so sorry :hugs

From the description below, it sounds like she may have had a prolapse, among other things. Flystrike (getting maggots in a wound/on soft tissue) can happen quickly - maggots can emerge within 24hours of a fly laying it's eggs. The maggots can do a lot of damage in short order.

I know it's hard to lose one, but you did the best you could taking care of her.
I dont think it is any use. she is sooo weak and cant stand. also there is a black thing protruding and... MAGGOTS! i bathed her and got them off- don't know if theyve gone inside. have just covered in a towel and put her in a spare quiet cage. dont think she will last till tomorrow. i am not home to put her down.
oh life...:barnie:he:hit

So very sorry for your loss...her little spirit will not be forgotten.
Don't beat yourself up, you did what you could. They are such tough and hardy creatures, and at the same time, can quickly become so fragile!

Sometimes our efforts are futile.

God Bless and peace to you. :hugs

I'm so sorry about your hen. It's very frustrating to loose hen after hen with no success, I'm so so sorry you had to go through it. It sounds to me like ascites, do I remember you posting about dark liquid in the nest box? I have lost 4 girls to it, it's not treatable but it can be relieved for a time. Here's an account of my last hen if you think it may have been just that. Very sorry for your loss, hope this can be helpful and encouraging to you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/18897671

Back
Top Bottom