What is my Leghorn doing?

db

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
One of my 19 week old leghorn pullets did a moon walk yesterday. She was taking a dust bath and another pullet got on her back, my leghorn jumped up and then tucked her head and started moonwalking backwards. Then would go forward normally than repeat the head tucked moonwalk. I picked her up checked her she seemed fine, I put her down and all was normal. Is something wrong ? Today she has been normal. It has been hot here, but I have a swamper in the coop, change their outside and inside water 3-4 times a day. The girls are just beginning to lay..... any suggestions or info. Is it neurological or is it normal ?
hmm.png

I have seen some strange movements from chickens and quail during and after dust bathing. They can get up and stumble drunk looking, fall over backwards, flip on their sides, just all sorts of things. It is some sort of uncontrollable reaction they get in the dust bath mode. So I am sure she is fine.
smile.png

Yea me and the granddaughter find it fun to watch dust baths. I have a spot that I dump and bag of peat moss after trapping season, they go nuts in that stuff.

Frequently when either sun or dustbathing chickens seem to almost go into a stupor. The reason???????????

I have one boy that is in love with me. He picks twigs and things up off of the ground and brings them over to me and lays them on the ground in front of me then does a little dance. He also moon walks.

Thanks for the information, I was really worried. I did find a new little suprise, one of my Ameracaunas lepft me a small green egg, only thing on the floor of coop. So far only my Leghorns use the nest boxes. Going today to get some fake eggs to put in boxes.
lol.png

Today my PURE white Leghorn decided to dust bathe in a hole she likes, eventhough it has been raining. She was in that hole for a good hour and when she got out she didn't realize just how dirty she was! She was seriously in a trance the whole time, doing the same sequence of movements over and over and over.... hahaha I gave them a treat and when they were done my RSL started picking off the mud caked to the WLH's chest and when she looked down she realized, "Oh crap...how did that happen?!?!" She started frantically trying to clean off. Crazy chickens....
idunno.gif

Well placed my fake eggs, one each nest box, found one green egg yesterday, today my husband found a small dirty white one on the coop floor. I find the fake eggs moved aroune but thats it. My leghorns that were laying everyother day have backed off............. on strike I guess. Each day a new expierence. I still have the problem of the bunch piling in at night in the corner.......... I have about 2 out of the 26 that roost.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom