What is my obligation?

since it's a neighbors "pet"- first time it's trapped it goes back to the owner. Second time it's traped it goes to the shelter (unless I have to pay to drop it off, then I move to step 3). Third time it gets trapped - SSS.

Quote:
or

Toxoplasmosis
Helicobacter pylori (can cause ulcers in the intestine)
Cat Scratch Disease (Cat Scratch Fever, Bartonellosis)
Ringworm

so there is just as much of an argument for her to keep the cats out of her yard...

Cats are more dangerous than dogs. A cat can KILL with one little scratch. The parasites from the feces can infect you throught the veggies. I do love my cats but if they do go off property they can and do disappear. At least while they were in my barn they got food and medical care which they prob didn't get before they were dumped.
I also volunteer at the local shelter and keeping a cat or dog contained is the law. It is also the law that all dogs and cats be vaccinated and licensed.
Trap them and take them to the shelter. When he asks say due to the health risk they pose they have been taken to the shelter. They could be carrying contagious diseases that can kill other cats and if they are not neutered then they are also part of the overpopulation problem. I wouldn't want some stray cat making my dogs, cats or family sick.

what I wrote is some of the names of diseases that cats can and do every day even with vaccines transfer to humans... ... so I agree with you 100%...

I have successfully used moth balls...just throw them in the area where the cats are doing their business and it will keep them away. I had a neighbor who moved off last year and left his cats to breed and breed and breed some more...I have trapped a couple inside my fenced yard staring at my chickens. I did not take them to the shelter but instead took them to a rural area and let them go figuring they can live on rats, lizards, etc. Did not take them to a shelter because I knew they would be killed. Of course there are those who would think releasing them in a rural area was cruel also...

Quote:
Ahhh.. please don't do that!!!...Speaking as a rural person, we don't apprecitate you dumping the problem off in our yards, and trust me the cats have an excellent chance of getting killed. I know they don't last long in my yard because I won't hesitate to shoot them.

Not to mention the fact that cat is high on the coyote menu.. so I guess it'd be better for them to be torn to shreds by a yote than a nice euthenasia shot given by kind hands.

Last edited:
Quote:
I live in a rural area where people "drop off" animals " your just taking your problem and dropping it off in someone else's back yard , besides the fact that this is illegal and you can be charged a fine and jailed it his irresponsible! You are not doing the animal a favor you are subjecting them to predation,starvation and illness!

Quote:
not that I am trying to start a disagreement cause I am not.... but by bringing them to the country you have made them my problem.... I live in the country and everyday no joke I have people dropping cats off on the side of the road thinking they can live in the conservation park across the street from me... but what they do is destroy the native bird population and make my chickens fair game... not to mention the screens on my windows as they come to the house looking for food and see my cats in the house and start fighting with my cat through the window, poop in my gardens putting my health at risk, my deck was stinking of cat urine and spray... so now I have a wonderful little dog who is trained to chase but not hurt.. she will keep them at bay...We dont have an animal control the SSS is expected here! so please think twice before dropping them off somewhere.

I'd trap until I got the sprinkler set up and working. I didn't even think of the sprinkler until it was mentioned.

Give the first one back. All successive catches should go to the humane society with absolute denials that they took that trip.

Quote:
Sounds good to me. Love the info share, making it VERY clear that his irresponsibility could make you and yours very sick... brilliant. And I like the one get out of jail free card, always was a fan of Monopoly. Sounds like you've got a good plan. And I agree 100% about the spay/neuter. My SIL is a cat fiend, and she doesn't fix any of them. Just lets them breed and breed and breed until eventually they're worn out. Gross details there but I won't do that, it'd put me off my lunch. But just based on her hoarding, and seeing the sheer number of cats in the local pound, no way would I let mine (if we had one, someday) run around intact.

Back
Top Bottom