What is my pheasant doing?

FarmersHatchery

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 3, 2012
West Central Missouri
I have a lone pheasant male who we have had for about a year. I believe he is not quite two years old. Anyways, I noticed recently that as I passed by his run area that he shares with some young guinea fowl, he would run along side me from the other side of the fence. It is not because he is hungry or thirsty, since he would do it even after I fed and watered him.

Then, starting yesterday, he would follow me, but now he would be all fluffed up (sort of like a turkey when it struts) with his tail feathers angled so the top faces me. He also would make a strange clucking sound that I've never heard before (he isn't very vocal, so that might be why).

When I go in the pen with him, he would follow me around trailing about a foot away from me doing the same thing. If I stop he would peck at the ground and start clucking. Usually, he doesn't like for me to get close to him, but now I can get right beside him with my foot or hand and he doesn't care as long as I don't touch him. If I touch him, he just backs up a bit.

I'm not sure why he is doing what he is, and was wondering if anyone else would know. I'm assuming it is either a courting or a territorial thing (if its courting, why is he doing it this late in the year?). I also wanted to make sure he wasn't doing it because he was sick since fluffed up feathers is usually a sign of sickness.

If someone could tell me, that would be great! Thanks!

He thinks your his girl.
In N.H.,Tony.
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom