What is my Polish?

polish tend to get picked on a lot from other breeds. just keep an eye on the middle of the crest for feather plucking. since they usually have a bump on that part of the skull (similar to the silkies) it can get hurt badly if someone is too aggressive on them. sometimes those feathers don't come back in as nice looking either. if you aren't planning on showing the polish i wouldn't worry about how the crest looks right now. it doesn't change their personalities towards you if you like them and they like you!

even good breeders will have what they call 'cull' birds that just aren't up to their breeder quality standards. they don't always kill them but will sell them to others that just want birds for their egg production (if they are hens) or to work on different colors. trying to keep breeds pure and up to the SOP is very tough when you are breeding. my faverolles can be tricky since breeding birds may not look like the breed SOP when it comes to their color, but they could produce SQ! and SQ may only produce breeder quality birds! if you have a bird with too many points on the comb you can offset it with the opposite sex with less points, and vice versa! (this is also mentioned in some other breed threads too!)

btw: cute silkie boys! sort of wish i still had one of mine!

Back
Top Bottom