What is my rescue chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NicInNC, Mar 7, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    We just got back from the Unifour show in Salisbury. There was a man selling chickens and there was a smalll cage with a bunch of chicks in it. They looked to all be 3-4 weeks old. This one tiny chick was getting trampled by all the others. It is soooo tiny compared to my 3 week old EE's that we have, so I'm guessing it's a banty. The poor thing was covered in poop, all wet and not moving much. I asked how much the guy wanted for it and he told me I would be doing him a favor if I just took it off his hands for him.

I was worried sick the entire way home because it was hardly moving. I warned my daughter that it might not make it and to be prepared that it might die. I came straight home and bathed it. I know, I know...probably the wrong thing to do, but it was totally disgusting. It had poop literally caked all over it. I dried it with the blow dryer on a low, warm setting (It fell asleep while I was drying it).

Now, it's in a tank with fresh food and water. It has drank some water and is now eating and walking around. I have hope! It's just so small for it to have feathers already.

So of course I came here for some expert (and non-expert) opinions! What is it? Do you think it is a hen or roo? I'm sure it's too soon to tell. How old do you think it is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    I'm not sure what he/she is but you are such a good chicken mama!![​IMG]

3. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Awwww...thank you. I was so scared to give it a bath, but I just didn't see any other way of getting it clean. I didn't even want to touch it when we got it, but my gosh...how could I leave it there? It was getting trampled to pieces by the others. We didn't even get to walk through and see the birds getting judged because I wanted to hurry and get it home. [​IMG]

4. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    She looks alert and happy now. COngrats!

And I have that same bag! Dont you love a freebie!! [​IMG]

5. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I'm all about freebies! People at work pick on me because of how excited I get over freebies and also because of my obsessive coupon clipping.

Do you think the chick is a girl? Whatever it is, it sure is calm. Not at all like any chicken I've ever had. I just wish I knew what it was. I'm guessing it might be a mix.

6. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Good for you for rescuing the little peeper! It's so grateful and I think it looks like a girl too.

7. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    I am going to just guess that it is a she. She looks great![​IMG] Good job. I am glad you got to her before she was trampled to death poor little thing![​IMG]

8. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    My vote is for hen as well, but you never know- could sprout a comb overnight. Maybe. [​IMG] Might want to check for evidence of spurs on the legs..

9. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    She looks exactly like my EE, freckles. Good job.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Looks like an EE X Leghorn mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by