What is my roo doing?

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
Nearly every day, Sir Henry the Loud jumps up into the nest box and spends several minutes making trilling noises, but he's only serenading himself. Anyone know what he's doing and why? It's not like the noises he makes when he's talking to his hens.

Roosters like to nest. I have two roos that will do this. Either they occupy a nest box or they find a secluded dark corner of the run to rustle up attention from curious hens. It appears they get deep satisfaction from this activity. It's normal behavior for roosters, though not all engage in it.

My first flock were mostly adult birds, the first day they were here the cock got into a nest and chattered for 30 minutes. Ran in to look it up on BYC, went back out and he was gone and there was a hen laying an egg in that nest. He never did it again.
Have had other cock/erels that would stand near a new layer in a nest, or do that scratching the corner thing.

The funny thing is when your rooster tries to show a new hen how to lay and egg, my 4 year old in the avatar is still that attentive with his hens as they seem to only like 1 box to lay in he keeps em in order so everyone lays in peace. He also comes crowing at mmy bedroom window if I'm late or pecking at the door if he hears I'm up and about letting me know his hens aren't happy cause I'm running behind. Some roosters are just amazingly kind to their hens. the first alert I get if someone is injured or not feeling well is he will stay with them sounding like he's purring, kinda freaked my son out.

Back
Top Bottom