What is my rooster a mix of? Can a mixed breed rooster create a sex link?

Patriot is a silver/gold split (meaning he could have red sons with a red hen) and he has a rose comb. As for the answer to your last question, I don’t know.
I'm really curious... Patriot is a silver/gold split? Not a silver/red split? And the black from the SLW doesn't matter? (His parents are the RIR and the SLW.) Just curious how this works, I'm fascinated. 🙂

I'm really curious... Patriot is a silver/gold split? Not a silver/red split? And the black from the SLW doesn't matter? (His parents are the RIR and the SLW.) Just curious how this works, I'm fascinated. 🙂
Red is just a different shade of sexlinked gold. Though there is non-sexlinked red, called autosomal red, it is not responsible for the majority of an RIR’s coloration.

What do you mean by the black doesn’t matter? Are you talking about the lacing?

Red is just a different shade of sexlinked gold. Though there is non-sexlinked red, called autosomal red, it is not responsible for the majority of an RIR’s coloration.
I think I understand - I didn't know how this worked. Thank you!

What do you mean by the black doesn’t matter? Are you talking about the lacing?
Yes, I meant the black in the lacing. 🙂 In my head, there are three colors involved with this mix, so I wondered how the black lacing fit in.

I think I understand - I didn't know how this worked. Thank you!

Yes, I meant the black in the lacing. 🙂 In my head, there are three colors involved with this mix, so I wondered how the black lacing fit in.
The lacing isn’t sex-linked. Columbian (pattern of the RIR) is usually pretty dominant over lacing, though sometimes it can show through. Your rooster Baelfire shows the partial lacing that can result from this cross, and your other rooster Patriot shows how the columbian pattern can cover up the lacing.

The lacing isn’t sex-linked. Columbian (pattern of the RIR) is usually pretty dominant over lacing, though sometimes it can show through. Your rooster Baelfire shows the partial lacing that can result from this cross, and your other rooster Patriot shows how the columbian pattern can cover up the lacing.
That makes sense, thank you! 🤩

Oh neat, I didn't know that beautiful pattern had a name. 🙂 I have one hen who has partial lacing and the Columbian. It's easy to tell her apart because of it. Everyone else got the Columbian only.

Back
Top Bottom