What is my rooster doing?

I finally watched the video....She had her hands in pockets and tossed her hair, then turned her back to him and he attacked..Second clip she was nervous and turned her back to walk away...He attacked her again but really ran at her when she started yelling...He is a Rooster/Cockerel..Her behaviour was all wrong..Keep him confined when people come to visit..
What was wrong about it? What shouldn't people do infront of them? There's no way I'm gonna get rid of him, he's just so nice to us. Eats from my hand all of the time. This was the only time it ever happened.

You don't fluff anything around a roo, you don't squeal and you don't run. If this was his first time meeting this lady feeding his girls was a mistake. The proper way is to give the roo the food and let him draw in the hens. I don't think your fella was being vicious, i do think they got off on the wrong foot. ;)
What was wrong about it? What shouldn't people do infront of them? There's no way I'm gonna get rid of him, he's just so nice to us. Eats from my hand all of the time. This was the only time it ever happened.

This is the first time he's done this. He's still pretty young. Other than this, he's very friendly. He still lets us pick him up and closes his eyes when we do. Maybe, as someone said, it's because of the hawk attack the other day?
Cute video! However..yes..it was aggression. I do think her boots had something to do with it. It was different...the boots. Not an incuse...but an early clue he may be a stinker. U need to get him under control now..or lock him up when u have visitors

He's so busy reacting (badly!!) to a strange human, when he should be thinking about the hens and pullets, and non-human threats to them. His focus is totally off, and into the 'man-fighter' mode that is just wrong. Lots of excuses for his behavior, but he shouldn't care how she behaves, because she should be outside of his concerns. Mary

She was loud..Tossed her hair and first put her hands away then tucked them in her pockets..You were behind the Rooster and she was on the other side ...Rooster was protecting you and his Hens..He was in the middle ..Keep him away when family or friends come to visit...He is doing a good job so far...

He's so busy reacting (badly!!) to a strange human, when he should be thinking about the hens and pullets, and non-human threats to them. His focus is totally off, and into the 'man-fighter' mode that is just wrong. Lots of excuses for his behavior, but he shouldn't care how she behaves, because she should be outside of his concerns. Mary
I agree with this. A "good rooster", in my opinion recognizes the difference between a human and a real threat. He keeps his distance, actually moving away from the humans who come into his territory. I know this is possible, because I have had several of them over the years. Keep the rooster, but I would suggest taking steps now to curb that aggression. Could be that he did sense fear or discomfort from your guest and did act upon that, but a good rooster would have not gone anywhere near her in the first place. In my opinion, attacking any human is not a "good job" on the rooster's part.

I think he was reacting, badly, to something new in his environment.
He picked her probably because she was the most nervous/anxious, as well as her higher voice and movements.
When someone new comes into yard and/or near my run, all the birds move away as far as they can get including the cock/erel, and they may alarm call to vocalize their distress.

Back
Top Bottom