What is my rooster doing?

The thing with Cockerels and Roosters is never set them up for failure...Generally they will fail in an attempt to protect the Hens..
I will really have to approach bringing others near very differently. He's still young and I bet he needs room to get used to what his impulses tell him to do. By myself, I go in and they all run to me and eat out of my hands, even he does when the hens do. I'm also thinking that this is the first higher pitched voice he has heard much of, and it does carry stronger than mine...

I think you're right. Their first impulse is to protect the hens from any threat.

Bulls, stallions, boars, AND ROOSTERS are not the same as neuters or females of the same species, and need to be managed respectfully as the hormonal critters that they are. With chickens, human aggression appears to be separately 'wired' from flock behavior and predator protection. For example, fighting cocks will kill each other, but have been selected for generations to be polite to humans.
Your cockerel hasn't got the message, and might or might not, with 'attitude adjustment' in the future. Mary

Back
Top Bottom