what is pressed wood made of?

hypnofrogstevie

chick magnet
16 Years
Jul 12, 2007
Newport, MI
We are building our coop out of pressed wood and plywood. I was wondering if it would have cedar in it since all it is, is pressed wood?

Last edited:
Pressed wood is pretty much glue and wood shavings mixed together and hardened. Particleboard is one type but there's others, too. It's....sort of nasty. It doesn't hold up to humidity, it drills poorly, and falls apart easily.

Last edited:
ok. If I where to protect it with that waterproof primer or whatever it is called would that be ok or is there anything I can use to keep it from rotting away? We had an old horse coop that was up on the hill for about 4 years before I tore it down and it looked like it held up? We have one wall up so far of pressed boards. What do you think of siding? We are going to tar the roof and add shingles like a real house
smile.png

Quote:
You can put on a layer of alkyd primer and then several layers of exterior-type paint if you use pressboard (or chipboard or whatever) if you really want.

It will be a significant extra expenditure of money and energy. It will give you an extra coupla years, is all <shrug>

Personally I would NOT do it -- waste of money and energy, and too much crappy rotten stuff to have to tear down and haul to the dump. Use plywood or lumber. Really.

Pat

I have my coop all planned out to start going in when the snow leaves(probably in August....
roll.png
)

I too was going to use pressed board. Although because I read this thread, I just looked online at lowes and they have 1/2" plywood for $17 a sheet. Not as cheap as pressed wood, but it'll give a major upgrade. Only costs about $150 more total. I think I'll go for that.

Quote:
I whole heartedly agree. If you're gonna build "on the cheap" at least go with O.S.B. Not as expensive as real plywood but not as uh, crummy as particle board. If you go with O.S.B., put at least 3 coats of a high quality OUTDOOR paint on it.

BTW - Particleboard has formaldahyde in it (or at least it use to), you know that stuff they use to preserve those corpses in science class?

thumb_shark.gif

no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom