What is really in Kibble?

My dogs have eaten Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Taste Of The Wild, and Nutro Natural Choice Grain-Free. They are currently eating Nutro Natural Choice Grain-Free, which costs less but also seems to be the best of the three (in my opinion, of course). I am very concerned with factory farming/cruelty, so I'm sure my reasons for choosing certain things are different than yours. One of my favorite things about the Nutro is the fact that the only animal protein is Pasture-Fed (so no cruelty) New Zealand venison, although it does have chicken fat, but that isn't one of the top ingredients, so it's the best I've found. We stopped feeding Blue Buffalo when we moved and it was less available and switched from Taste Of The Wild because Nutro Grain-Free seems just as good, if not better, and it costs a bit less at TSC.
Anyway, I don't know if you are concerned about the same things I am when it comes to dog food, but that is my opinion and I hope it helped
tongue.png

I feed Nutro-Source Grain Free. I switch between chicken and lamb formula, whichever I pick up that week. Singe did great on Performance Edge as well, but Rayden didn't. I prefer having a food that both do well on so I don't have to worry about anyone sneaking the other's dinner.

I priced TOTW, Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Nutro Naturals at my local TSC. Prices are as follows: Nurto and Buffalo are $2.08 a pound each and TOTW is $1.56. TOTW got higher reviews on www.dogfoodadvisor.com too. I think that one may be a good choice. I found it interesting to note that some of the highest rated dog foods are not recommended for large breed puppies because they are TOO good....the protein levels are too high.

If I had a dog who could eat whole pieces, bones and all, I would feed raw food. But since I have a cat and don't have time to do all that hand grinding, I buy her Blue Buffalo Blue Wilderness. And she gets Wellness grain free canned food as well. Both are very good quality, good brands. I fed her raw for a short time when we first figured out she was allergic to grains, when there were very very few options, actually I think Wellness may have been the only grain free option, at least locally for me at the time. But with 4 kids (2 are autistic), all these animals, I just don't have the time to hand grind food for a cat, though I wish I did. Cleaning up after my kids and cooking food for them is more important. lol. Maybe when they're grown. Good luck!

By the way, I saw at Costco that they are selling a VERY reasonably priced grain free dog kibble. Not sure what the brand is, but it might be worth checking into. Wish they'd sell a similar cat food! Grain free cat foods are so darn expensive!

Quote:
I know what food you are talking about. That's probably Kirkland's food, which is similar to 4-health and made at the same plant (Diamond). I don't have a costco around here. My Anatolians will strip the meat off the bones and will eat some bones, but will not eat heavy bones (deer skulls and leg bones). They chew on the ends but won't actually eat them. The pasture is so littered with bones that I saw some buzzards circling yesterday. lol! I need to go pick them up or they will go flying everywhere when we mow that pasture in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom