What is reserve Best?

FisherMOM

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Bergen, NY
Our Pekin Duck pullet got #1 RB today at a poultry show.
I still am having an hard time understanding what this means. It is like they expect me to know. This was our first show.

Reserved Best?? but what is that exactly? anyone know?

RB= Reserve of Breed, not reserve best

There are not that many abbreviations when it comes to showing poultry and after a few shows you will have it down. It is a heck of a lot easier that learning the abbreviations used on these forums. IMHO

Bob

You start with variety:
Best of Variety: BV
Reserve of Variety: RV

Then it goes to Breed:
Best of Breed: BB
Reserve of Breed: RB

Basically 1st and 2nd place within the entries for your breed. BB or RB are better than BV and RV. You need the BV to continue to the Breed competition and you need to be BB to go on and compete for the rest of the awards.

Thanks you.. and thanks Chickenlady.

Now to write this down and tuck it away somewhere!
smile.png

ok, another question.....

is this again, broken down by sex and age of the bird?
Is there one per class? Because there were drakes and hens as well as pullets and young drakes.

So for RB... that means all the birds in that breed in the show? Or does that mean all the pullets in that show?
I assume it means over all.. but I hate to assume. You know what they say about assuming!
tongue.png

There must be a book that I can get to teach me all this, right? Any suggested books?

I will see what the library system has to offer.

I have many questions... too many to try to ask online.

It is not uncommon for a RV to also get RB, especially in a small class.
Was BB a bird that was the same variety as yours?

Bob

Ya know Bob, honestly, I have no clue!

My head was spinning trying to figure out what all of this meant. Then at the awards, you could not hear the person that was announcing who won what. She talked soft and on top of it.. we were in with all of the chickens. It was not set up well for awards. They could have done them outside so that we could hear. (or they could have had a megaphone or something.)

It was at the Genesee Country Museum this past weekend.

Rochester Poultry Association
101st Annual Show

Youth Show on Saturday.

She won "Youth Reserve Heavy Duck"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom