What is safe for a chicken to eat from the yard?

crazyhen

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
mtns of ,NC.
I have heard of people planting castor beans around chicken yards. I know these are poison for people but what about chickens? How about the seed from four-o-clock flowers? I want to get some seasonal shade for my chicken run to go with the abundant sunshine on the western slope of my home. Some of the plants for looks and some for tall shade.
I have also considered some bradford pear trees. They won't have to be sprayed. On the end I want to plant rosemary,just cause I like to smell it in the garden. Could never learn to like it in cooking though.
My house and covered yard are ready now. I will call about the pullets tomorrow. Whew! that was a job for me and my hb. We are novices at building. We hope it is now predator proff. Wire under the dirt and along side, top covered with wire, house has 4 inches at top for ventilation, covered with metal screen wire and hardware cloth. Also a window that is screened and covered with hardware cloth as well.
Please some suggestions for small trees, that grow fast and lose their leaves in the fall. They have to grow in a dry summer, red clay soil and damp winter. Crazy hen Jean

hi Jean,

Sounds like you need a rest! How many chickens are you planning to have? Do you have pics of your coop and run?

(all I know about plants is what I read on the safe/not safe web page... but I did not bookmark it. There is a thread somewhere with a link ... maybe someone can post it for you)

smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks cickkade and digits,
I think that at least answers part of my question. I have planted some seven top turnip greens on one side. I will use part of them for the chicks this fall late. I don.t have a fancy house just very functional. I will, hopefully get my ladies this week. Does anyone own buff orps, delawares, or barn... what evers out there? tell me what you think of them. Jean

Back
Top Bottom