What is she doing?

shannaharle

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 9, 2011
White City, KS
I have this hen who for the last couple of days has been laying behind the doghouse. None of them have started laying eggs yet. They are around 5 1/2 months old. She was laying on a walnut most of the afternoon today back behind the doghouse, so we moved the dog house and put the walnut in their nesting boxes and she went in there and is sitting. She hardly makes any noise or moves while she is in there. Her belly feels different than the rest of the hens and her vent is almost a triangle shape unlike the other hens belly buttons. lol Do any of you have any idea what she is doing or what it could be? Whenever she stands she is all humped over almost humped back.

She's probably already layed a clutch and gone broody. I'm assuming you'd have some kind of pest that would steal eggs if they weren't collected?
hmm.png

I wonder if she is egg bound, feel her belly for an egg. If you seem to feel something hard in there, give her a warm bath and hopefully her muscles will relax enough to pass the egg. The next step would be adding lubricant or oil to her vent.

Either that or she is broody. If she fluffs up her feathers when you reach out to touch her and makes a little sound she could be broody

She must be a silkie if she's setting on a walnut, they are never real bright. Oh and yeah her belly button is not where the egg comes from, just sayin.

I never said the egg is coming from her bellybutton. I was saying that all the other hens vents kind of looked like belly buttons but hers was more of a triangle shape. Anyway, she has left her walnut but she never fluffed up when we would try and touch her. She is not a silky but a RIR. Hopefully it just means the eggs will start to come.

Quote:
Chickens have belly buttons?
th.gif

Learn something new everyday.

Wow. Soon we may actually learn where the nuggets are!

Not sure I want to know.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom