What is she doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Harley's girl, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

OK so I have had chickens now for 3 years, and I have never seen what I seen today. My EE hen got out of the laying box and bent down and started picking up loose feathers off of the ground, and putting them on her back! [​IMG] What in the world is she doing? I have never seen any of my other hens do this. So I continued to watch her for about 5 mins and every feather she seen laying on the ground she would pick it up and put it on her back, one time one side the other time the other side. She was making the sides even. LOLOLOL [​IMG] Crazy hen. So I am now wondering do any of you have hens who give themselves feather "hair transplants" LOLOLOL [​IMG]

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Thats funny visual!
    Mine usually do it with shavings or whatever they can grab. I have seen them do it just before laying or right after. Chickens are just funny aren't they?

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's a broody thing...Penny was covering herself so much I was thinking of sending her off to war. Sticks, flowers, twigs, leaves...anything.

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

OOOHHH NNNOOOO!!

Not another broody. :eek: That is the last thing I need, I want eggs not broodies... [​IMG] Well I am just going to have to keep an eye on her. Thanks! [​IMG]

5. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    They think they are hideing under the camo , it's a prey thing i guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by