What is she? (yes, I know it's a chicken!)

I thought she was a little big for a batam, but then again, I'm fairly new to the chicken thing and have only had RIRs. She is so sweet. She wants to be held and scratched all the time. We think she's pretty too regardless of what she is!

Phoenix have slate legs, I believe. So the legs are throwing me off. Silver leghorns are colored like that, but have white earlobes and yellow legs...

So game?

Yep, grey game! The men won.
roll.png

I never really thought about getting chickens at the local shelter. Did you have to quarintine (sp?) her or does the shelter check them for disease?

Edited to add---good lookin chicken by the way, I guess there is no truth of green feet make green eggs, huh?

Last edited:
Quote:
smack.gif
tongue.gif
Just can't help it can you?
bow.gif
tongue2.gif

I wish my shelter adopted chickens, I need to call and ask if they ever get any. They do not have them up for adoption. I bet they just kill them, I need to call.....

According to our local shelter, they are required by law to take in any animal running at large. The usually hold them 30 days for reclaiming. If not reclaimed, they are put up for adoption for 5 days then euthanized if not adopted. They very seldom get chickens, in fact she's the only one they have had in over a year. They had tested her for diseases and quarantined her for over a month. They kept her a week over the time limit because they got so attached. They had a special room in the back for her so she wouldn't get stressed being around all the dogs & cats. I just happened to check on line at petfinder.com because we were looking for a friend for our parakeet and saw her. I called and they said she was scheduled for euthanasia in a few days. Her adoption fee was only $5.00. I immediately went down and got her. We kept her separated from the flock for about a week. I was worried the RIRs wouldn't accept her because she is smaller and all 6 RIRs grew up together. But they are a little scared of her! (big chickens!)
lol.png
She is unbelievably sweet! and has been laying small - med. size white-ish eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom