What is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LithiumPyrite, Sep 13, 2012.

1. LithiumPyrite

LithiumPyrite Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Murray, Utah
    My Coop
    While doing yard work the other day I found this little bird in my backyard and my wife said we could keep it! So we're going start a small brood in our backyard. We were told by an "expert" that this chick is a female but she was clueless as to what kind it was, she speculated that she might be a Production Red but she doesn't look like any pictures of young PR's that I have seen but I have no idea. Anyone recognize her as a certain breed? Obviously we will find out later as she grows but it would be nice to know. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    No idea but get another chick to keep it company. Looks like a pullet. Is it tiny or does it look more like a reg sized chick? Does it have "poofy" cheeks? could you get a front shot of its facewith its head up a bit?

BTW...how many toe does it have? Looks like a single comb.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    the feather pattern looks a little like game to me. how in the world does a little chick come to be in your yard? They have trouble making it with a mom out there, I am thinking about ten minutes would be the average life span of a chick on it own dropped in a random place.

4. LithiumPyrite

LithiumPyrite Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Murray, Utah
    My Coop
    She has 4 toes on each foot. She's the same size as the 5 week old Barred Rock chick we just bought. She doesn't have the poofy cheeks and beard of an Ameraucana. I suspected a game bird just because her adult feather coloring is so different from other chicks/chickens I've seen, but she has a comb like a chicken. No idea though. We suspect she escaped someone else's coop in our neighborhood but didn't find out who. She's got some scabs on her back as if a cat in the neighborhood tried to take a bite of her. Poor thing.

5. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    She's not a production red. We have those and she isn't the right color. You might want to ask your neighbors with chickens if they are missing any birds. I know I would be worried sick if I lost a chick without a clue where they went.

6. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    It's so lucky you found her! Keep us posted on what she turns out to be.[​IMG]

7. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    I'd give it a bit longer to make for sure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by