what is sweet feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jtbrown, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I am new to a lot of things, but I keep seeing sweet feed in store. States for all farm animals and has all kinds of grazing animals and chicken on the front. Can anyone enlighten me? What is the purpose, is it like scratch? There are no "feeding instructions" on the back and I cannot see what it looks like and have never seen an employee as I was browsing. Thanks.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Sweet feed is usually rolled grains with molasses added. We feed it to horses, cows, sheep, and goats.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Like the previous poster stated it's a feed for horses, cattle, etc. Chickens do LOVE it. If you do get some I would give it sparingly as a treat.

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Thanks, I may get some more toward winter when they cannot free range in the evening like I usually have them doing. With a name like Sweet Feed, it sounds like it would be good. Thanks again!

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

When we had horses and cows we only fed it to animals we were trying to get or keep weight on. Horses who were working every day or animals that were breeding and milking or nursing. I'd be afraid of my chickens blowing up big and fat on that stuff! But I guess if you fed it very sparingly, as a treat, it might be ok.

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    It is basically junk food for animals. Definitely use sparingly.

7. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    Sweet feed is simply grain rolled in molasses. It's horrible for horses!! For chickens I don't know if it would be nutritious or not, I would go with a layer or broiler feed.
    It smells good that's for sure. It would make a good air freshener.

8. ky-chicken-farmer

ky-chicken-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:I mix 5O lbs of corn with 5O lbs of 12% sweet feed. It has oats, corn, alfalfa and molasses wth minerals and is usually 7 bucks a bag. Ive fed it for years to our horses and goats and use it as a scratch/treat for our birds.

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Sounds like granola for chickens!

10. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Wow! I did not realize chickens could have it. We used to mix it with corn to feed to the deer. They certainly liked it. [​IMG] It definently looked good and smelled wonderful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by