What is that smell?

Puddin816

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
I know I post on here all the time but I would so much rather be safe than sorry. My duckling has just turned 8 1/2 weeks old and I changed up her food a little bit to a more pellet style rather than a crumble, I have been mixing it in like you mix in new dog food slows and little at a time. But since the first new day in this good her poo has smelled awful. For those of you who grew up in the country the smell is almost like Copenhagen chewing tobacco. It’s black and tarry and just absolutely rancid. It’s been about 3 days Now and she only has about one black poo a day but all her poos smell of that nasty smell, the darker the stronger. I thought it was maybe her water boy getting changed enough even though I change it every day. I thought maybe she ate a bad minnow or bug. But to no avail I can not figure it out, Should I go back to her old feed? This one says it’s acceptable for any ages. Or is there something more going on I should be concerned about?

I’m sorry I’m advance I’m not home at the moment so I’m trying to find other photos. She was getting the two feeds mixed together and doing quite well and I switched to the purina. It smells like normal feed no new smells. Other than Feed she gets minnows, carrots, strawberries, peas, basically any good vegetable or fruit but only a few a day

Attachments

• 291B1E87-7839-4181-8D90-9190C043F3E5.png
    291B1E87-7839-4181-8D90-9190C043F3E5.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 26E38DBD-0C48-42D6-B49E-D11D0CADF5F4.png
    26E38DBD-0C48-42D6-B49E-D11D0CADF5F4.png
    864.5 KB · Views: 1
I'd say if anything is causing the smell that isn't normal it's because of the minnows. I have seen members post that dried or fresh mealworms do the same making for nasty-smelling poop. As if we don't have enough smelly poops as it is. Mine get dry dog food and meal worms daily as a treat and poop is smelly but I just chalk it up to the treats.
As long as she is acting normal eating well drinking well I wouldn't worry. But you could try an experiment and stop feeding minnows and see if it makes any difference.

Back
Top Bottom