what is the absolute earliest they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shaggy, Oct 21, 2010.

1. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i have a trip scheduled for mid-november and want to make sure nothing happens while i am away from home

will be gone for 5 days

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Like day 16 but dont expect that. Day 19 is more common an you need to be there on day 18 to go in to lockdown anyway.

3. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    that is a bummer [​IMG]

anyone know how long a hen will lay fertilized eggs once the rooster is gone?

4. Pemburu

Pemburu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Oklahoma
    My hatch early this month had 2 pips late into day 18. They started mass exodus 15 hours into day 19 and were all finished mid day 20. These eggs were collected and given to me... stored at room temp for a day plus... which that and the still air incubator could have been the reason for all being done early. Many factors influence the "when"... but that was my experience.

edit. fertile eggs after roo departs https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4943280

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  5. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    how long do they stay in the incubator before having to move them to a brooder?

6. Pemburu

Pemburu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Oklahoma
    If the hatch is complete... they can move. They are finished incubating once they are out of the shell... dried off.. (fuzzy mode) You are recommended not to move new hatches while others are still in hatching stage. They can live a day or two just fine in the incubator, living off their absorbed yolk sac... while waiting for everyone to catch up. Hope that answers the question. Have fun

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Sometimes around 2 or 3 a.m.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by