What is the ballpark estimate?

mendogurl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
I know it is an inexact science, but I really am lost about what to expect in terms of egg production.
Vaguely, how many eggs a week could there be?

I have 3 Rhode Island Reds
2 Barred Plymouth's
2 Easter Eggers
1 Astralorp

Thanks everyone !

I also have eight hens. Two each of leghorns & silkies, and 4 wyndottes. I've been getting five to six eggs a day since they started laying the first week of January. And I've got silkies which are not usually good layers.

So you may get more than you think. Enjoy!!!
big_smile.png

The Easter Eggers are the big question mark, in my opinion. They can be variable in all sorts of ways.

The other 3 are good layers for heritage breeds. I would say that low end would be 50% production and high end would be 85%.

Eight hens over 7 days at 50% would be 28 egg/week.

Eight hens over 7 days at 85% would be 48 egg/week.

My Barred Rocks & Australorps are much closer to high end than low end, thankfully.

Steve
smile.png

According to Storey's Guide, with most breeds you can expect an average of 2 eggs per 3 hens per day. Doing the math, it comes out to 35-40 eggs a week (37.33 if your hens are able to be that precise).

My McMurray EEs lay 6 eggs each each week. Whew!

Now that the weather is cold, other hens have slacked off, some aren't laying at all. Those EEs are still laying 5 eggs each a week. Some "slackers!"
tongue.png

For estimating purposes, figure they lay 5 out of 7 days, unless you have modern hybrids bred t lay til they burst. Mine average 5 per week (some pretty much seven, others three or four) and I have a real mix of breeds.

Back
Top Bottom