What is the benefit of petroleum jelly on combs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 2mnypets, Sep 28, 2007.

1. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I read somewhere that applying petroleum jelly or moisturizer on the combs during the wintertime will help or reduce the chance of your chickens getting frostbite. I somewhat see why as far as coverage, but does someone have a simple answer to it? Thanks in advance!

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Something to do with the layer of goo trapping heat/ reducing heat loss. Swimmers do it too, if they're swimming in really cold water.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Its like chapstick for combs keeps moisture in comb insted of releaseing moisture thus preventing(or at least trying to prevent) frostbite

4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Thanks everyone for the answer.

5. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Quote:its a moisture thing?? I always thought that was a heat thing.. because ppl loose the most heat through their heads in the winter, I just figure chickens must loose it through their combs.. but now that I think about it the chapstick things makes sense too..

6. doodledo

doodledo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    So how many of you actually put vaseline on their combs in the winter? Is this a must?

7. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I will try this too...some of my wheaten colored ee's combs are very dry looking. Maybe I should use lanolin instead? I have some of that and it might be better since its more natural than petroleum!
    [​IMG]

8. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    I might try it this winter as well. This is my first winter with chickens and I'm doing everything I can to make them safe.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do it on the ones with the largest combs, my roosters and one or two hens. Hate to see a rooster lose his beautiful points to frostbite.

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Be careful if you are in a very cold climate. One of my old EE roo's comb froze solid because of the petroleum jelly.

It was about -15 windchill and he refused to be indoors so I coated his comb, 15 minutes later it was frozen solid. His uncoated companion's combs were only damaged on the tips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by