What is the best affordable roofing material for this rainy climate?

Hi there Washington Peeps! We are coming along on the construction of our coop and I just painted the underside of the flooring. We were discussing what is the best material to keep the rain out and someone in one of the articles or forums rather mentioned Ondura roofing. What have you all used for yours and why?

We used tin, because we had it laying around.

you can just about see it in the coop.

Thank you for your replies about roofing materials! I guess tin is the winner. We are considering using that black roofing material underneath for safety and to let the roof breath without it too saturated with the 80+ inches of rainfall we get in our region. With the tin roofing material can't mice and rats get into the coop on the upper part of the corrugation? Have any of you put screen or hardware cloth to keep varmints out or is that overkill (no pun intended)?

Thank you for your replies about roofing materials! I guess tin is the winner. We are considering using that black roofing material underneath for safety and to let the roof breath without it too saturated with the 80+ inches of rainfall we get in our region. With the tin roofing material can't mice and rats get into the coop on the upper part of the corrugation? Have any of you put screen or hardware cloth to keep varmints out or is that overkill (no pun intended)?

we haven't screened ours yet but we are planning to with hardware cloth to keep it well ventilated.

Hi CAS,
I have found the same to be true with the plastic, but, do you find that the tin heats up too much? This is the only concern that kept me from using tin. Thanks.
smile.png

thanks chicapee! We are not sure about using the hardware cloth 'cause, as it is, it will run a small fortune just for the vents or window sections. We were going to use a section of window pane w/glass from our home remodel but it was too difficult to have to support it vs. just hardware cloth. They say here on BYC to have lots of ventilation and then add some more, so... We used a hell of a lot of hardware cloth and chicken wire for our brooder and the kids are outgrowing it already and we only have 7 chicks!
I've heard that tin is difficult to cut and wrangle so to speak, especially for two ol' disable people like us.

thanks chicapee! We are not sure about using the hardware cloth 'cause, as it is, it will run a small fortune just for the vents or window sections. We were going to use a section of window pane w/glass from our home  remodel but it was too difficult to have to support it vs. just hardware cloth. They say here on BYC to have lots of ventilation and then add some more, so...  We used a hell of a lot of hardware cloth and chicken wire for our brooder and the kids are outgrowing it already and we only have 7 chicks!
   I've heard that tin is difficult to cut and wrangle so to speak, especially for two ol' disable people like us.

Hubby used tin snips, sometimes he uses a circular saw and showers me with sparks, could also use an angle grinder.

If it's rainy rainy climate better not choose a flat roof .If it is flat roof water is much more likely to ponder over it. If it is not fastened properly it is dangerous to both you and roof. it is best to hire a commercial roofing contractors like the Empire Roofing. Their blog explains about necessary maintenance required for your roof architecture .
http://www.empireroofingcorporation.com/how-your-roofs-architecture-will-influence-your-necessary-maintenance/
Hope you have solved the problem.

Back
Top Bottom