What is the best age to sex marans chicks?

doubleatraining

Songster
12 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Franklinton, NC
I have 7 marans chicks that I got as straight run. They are about 4-5 weeks old now and I can already tell that 1 will probably be a rooster. What age should I take pictures and ask the advice of the all knowing on here? LOL

Last edited:
Right now.

Also it's Marans with an S, plural or not
smile.png

If they're Cuckoos the easiest time to sex them is at 1 day old to 2 weeks old.

If you see comb differences now, those are your boys. I always sex my BCM's around this age, as the boys' combs are already getting prominent.

Well I think I lucked out. I'll have to compare the pictures because they are usually running around too fast but I know for sure that I have a BCM roo. Cross your fingers thats the only boy.....

My 6 week old batch, I have 1 boy and 2 or 3 girls. I can't remember how many I have. I know only 1 boy, though. He's huge. My speckled Sussex boy is also huge compared to the girls! SO funny how some breeds are almost impossible to tell for a long time, then there are breeds you can be pretty sure pretty early on! I also have some Exchequer Leghorns and Blue Andalusians. The boys aren't any bigger in size, but wow, those combs are big!

Back
Top Bottom