What is the best bait for a smart ‘coon!?

@JayceMusgrove82

Sounds like you might just need to set heavy and "force" the smart one a bit more, the bait is likely not a big of an issue.

Since you have an array of traps I would try something like this:
  • Set up some blocking such as firewood, or just use the wall of the a shed, or whatever, to "force" the critter to enter in a predicable way.
  • Set a cage trap with the entrance facing the blocking, and cover the inside bottom with dirt and leaf litter, and then set it up as normal with a can of cat food mixed with grape jelly in it, and a little bit of the cat food/jelly on a leaf toward the entrance.
  • Set a couple of coil spring/foot holds traps in the "alley" between the blocking and the front of the cage trap, but not directly in front. Be sure to properly bed and blend them in so they are hidden.
  • Then set a dog proof trap a bit past the coil springs as well. Put a golf ball on top of the dog proofs and smear it with jelly, and fill the dog proof with marsh mallows and/or dry cat food.
  • Sprinkle some marsh mallows and/or dry cat food directly in front of the cage trap entrance, and around dog proofs... but not on the coil spring locations.

Best of luck, hope you get your rooster killer!

Here's a simple diagram to better explain.
Smart Racoon Set.png

Lol! Th
@JayceMusgrove82

Sounds like you might just need to set heavy and "force" the smart one a bit more, the bait is likely not a big of an issue.

Since you have an array of traps I would try something like this:
  • Set up some blocking such as firewood, or just use the wall of the a shed, or whatever, to "force" the critter to enter in a predicable way.
  • Set a cage trap with the entrance facing the blocking, and cover the inside bottom with dirt and leaf litter, and then set it up as normal with a can of cat food mixed with grape jelly in it, and a little bit of the cat food/jelly on a leaf toward the entrance.
  • Set a couple of coil spring/foot holds traps in the "alley" between the blocking and the front of the cage trap, but not directly in front. Be sure to properly bed and blend them in so they are hidden.
  • Then set a dog proof trap a bit past the coil springs as well. Put a golf ball on top of the dog proofs and smear it with jelly, and fill the dog proof with marsh mallows and/or dry cat food.
  • Sprinkle some marsh mallows and/or dry cat food directly in front of the cage trap entrance, and around dog proofs... but not on the coil spring locations.

Best of luck, hope you get your rooster killer!

Here's a simple diagram to better explain.View attachment 1620245
Lol thanks! But I don’t keep them in a shed! I normally keep them in a barn! But I can’t seem to find where the coon comes in at! So thanks to @Howard E i will be putting the traps near the exit route! But if that all goes wrong! I might as well try your advice!

Back
Top Bottom