What is the best bait for a smart ‘coon!?

Lol! Th

... But I don’t keep them in a shed! I normally keep them in a barn! But I can’t seem to find where the coon comes in at! ...

Shed, barn, hen house doesn't really matter... in any case you're just wanting to attract the critter, keep it working the set, and then "force" it to step where you want it to step. The setup does not need to be where the coon is coming in, you're just using the barn wall or other obstacle to "direct" the critter to step where you want it to step.

The idea of using the coil springs in a gang set with the cage trap and the dog proofs is to get the critter to "work" the set for a long time, until it commits to the cage, the dog proof, or just steps on the coil spring while working the others. This works will with a trap shy coon, because they're focused on the cage and dog proofs and step on the pan of the coils spring without noticing it (provided it is well placed and properly bedded).

I did see where you mentioned traps getting dug up or set off, etc, ... if this those were coil springs you've likely got some scent on them, that is causing the critter to notice them, and/or you're not getting them bedded and sifted in well... or something else...so you might boil them to make sure they are clean, where gloves, etc... and follow the standard best practices for using that type of trap.

One strategy that is often used with raccoons and dog proofs around bait piles for deer and hogs, is to "gang" set several dog proofs for a week or so, but not set them, this will get several coons coming in to "raid" the traps, and then once they're comfortable working the traps, then you can set them... and often end up with a coon in each trap. So that might work for you as well.

Like @Howard E said if you can find the trial they use and put your trap in the line of traffic it really helps. Bait iv'e had the best luck with is gross but it works. Either chicken crumble or instant oatmeal mixed with grape soda until it makes a dough. I don't touch any of it I mix it with a spoon or stick. The coons around here seem to really like the scent of fake grape.

Shed, barn, hen house doesn't really matter... in any case you're just wanting to attract the critter, keep it working the set, and then "force" it to step where you want it to step. The setup does not need to be where the coon is coming in, you're just using the barn wall or other obstacle to "direct" the critter to step where you want it to step.

The idea of using the coil springs in a gang set with the cage trap and the dog proofs is to get the critter to "work" the set for a long time, until it commits to the cage, the dog proof, or just steps on the coil spring while working the others. This works will with a trap shy coon, because they're focused on the cage and dog proofs and step on the pan of the coils spring without noticing it (provided it is well placed and properly bedded).

I did see where you mentioned traps getting dug up or set off, etc, ... if this those were coil springs you've likely got some scent on them, that is causing the critter to notice them, and/or you're not getting them bedded and sifted in well... or something else...so you might boil them to make sure they are clean, where gloves, etc... and follow the standard best practices for using that type of trap.

One strategy that is often used with raccoons and dog proofs around bait piles for deer and hogs, is to "gang" set several dog proofs for a week or so, but not set them, this will get several coons coming in to "raid" the traps, and then once they're comfortable working the traps, then you can set them... and often end up with a coon in each trap. So that might work for you as well.
I’m kinda shy on money, and I have a load of bills to pay, as I live on a farm! so I don’t have the time or the money to buy that much bait just for one coon, but however, this is really great advice! Thank you so much for your help! And if all goes well, I owe you a thanks!

Like @Howard E said if you can find the trial they use and put your trap in the line of traffic it really helps. Bait iv'e had the best luck with is gross but it works. Either chicken crumble or instant oatmeal mixed with grape soda until it makes a dough. I don't touch any of it I mix it with a spoon or stick. The coons around here seem to really like the scent of fake grape.
Would you think if I mixed “Sardines In Lousiana Hot Sauce” with cat food...that it would work? Because it’s all I have

May be that what is happening to you, someone relocated trap smart coons at your doorstep.
Impossible, I live in the middle of 76 acres of private property that I own! For them to release a coon there, it would be against the law

Back
Top Bottom