What is the best bait for raccoons in a live trap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marshmallows work well, but the best I've found is red licorice. Neither attracts attract cats or dogs, and the red licorice doesn't seem to interest the chickens. The licorice smells fruity and sweet, and both raccoons and opossums can't seem to resist it. So, after years of thinking about it, below is the end result of the latest raccoons I caught. Ordered up a tanning kit from a taxidermy supplier, and started watching youtube videos on skinning and tanning. This actually came out much better than I deserved. I should have listened to the salesman when I ordered the tanning solutions. He suggested a pint, I thought a gallon was better. Its concentrated, so my gallon kit will make 280 gallons of solution, enough for 280 raccoons. At the same time I skinned and tanned my first mole. I figured 99 more mole skins and I can cover a motorcycle seat. A beautiful, if tiny pelt.

This was actually very interesting. More work than I'd expected, but I think well worth the effort. I didn't try eating him, maybe one of these days. Recycling at its finest.

this is why it sucks when someone relocates most times to catch the coon in a quick manner you have to change the style of trap used mostly I use fish to catch coon with that and digging a bait hole under the cage trap and centering the trigger over the hole

When one goes off-topic, one can become lost in strongly held opinion, when one entertains strongly held opinions, one can become irritated, when one becomes irritated, one can lose one's way back to the original topic at hand, when one becomes confused about one's direction, one can become even more irritated. When one is off-topic and irritated, the Mods will lock the thread.

Don't let this happen to what has been a pretty useful thread, stay on topic.

From the rules:

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

Random Ramblings is available.

Last edited:
Has the predator been stealing the bait out of the trap or ignoring it completely? I used some left-overs from our refrigerator... left-over gravy and a chicken foot that we had from processing some birds a few weeks ago. We had our bait stolen 3 nights in a row before my hubby attached it to the trap securely and also oiled the door so it would close more easily. That did the trick and we caught Mr. Coon the next night. Is your friend's coop secure? Until we caught the coon, I had to put the girls away earlier than usual for their own protection (which they did not like one bit!).

The raccoon has been totally ignoring the bait! The coop is secure (or so we though) but, to get to the quail the raccoon chewed a hole through the wire (hardware cloth) and grabbed the quail out. we are really not sure how it is getting the hens!!

I am learning about this too so I do not have any information to offer, just a question to add to this... What are we legally allowed to do with the racoons once we catch them if they have been a eating our livestock?

The raccoon has been totally ignoring the bait! The coop is secure (or so we though) but, to get to the quail the raccoon chewed a hole through the wire (hardware cloth) and grabbed the quail out. we are really not sure how it is getting the hens!!
Can you provide a picture of this?

I had good luck with sardines. I crack open the tin(Don't open all the way), wrap the tin in hardware cloth a wire it to the back of the trap. It really draws them in after a couple of days, when the sardines get "Seasoned".
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom