What is the best breed for me?

qualitycaprine

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
I am thinking about buying 25 straight run chicks from Murray McMurray(I am in the 1st shipping zone for them) for March 1st delivery. My main problem now is what breed or breeds to get. I want a dual purpose breed that is cold tolerant. Are Rhode Island reds the breed for me?

How cold is cold? Delaware are great all purpose birds, friendly and purty darn smart. I would suggest getting them from a breeder rather than hatchery stock, however.

^ What they said. I've been thinking about RIR, NHR, and Delawares myself. I'm in Texas though, so it's more the heat than cold that I worry on. That's why I'm leaning towards the Dels. Might be a crock, but I think that the white may do better in the heat than the darker RIRs. For you though, not so hot, I'd vote for RIRs. You'll get a great layer, and a good meat bird. But, this is all theoretical so feel free to disregard.
smile.png

Well I suggest buying Barred Rocks if you want a very good egglayer and meatbird or Buff Orpington if you want a good egglayer, meatbird, and a good mother.

Barred Rocks are a perfect beginner breed in my opinion, you can sex them very early, usually at dayold, they are great layers, great temperament, and beautiful birds, I wouldn't be without them.

Back
Top Bottom