What is the best breed for setting naturally?

scramblingmyeggs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
I am looking for a breed that is able to set well naturally. (Obviously my Pekins are not fitting the bill!). Any tips/experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

Although there are certain individuals within every breed who will sit on a nest, I have heard that Muscovies are really good about setting. However, the converse is also true; sometimes ducks within a breed that are supposed to go broody easily just won't.
roll.png

It's an odds thing. There are always exceptions. Runners are NOT supposed to go broody, but I had one hatch out a clutch of 10 this spring. Khaki's are one of the breeds that typically DO NOT go broody, yet we have people on this forum with khakis that still have the instinct.

If you don't want to rely on dumb luck like I had, get some Welsh Harlequins, some muscovies, or maybe some roeuns. I know there are other broody-prone ducks, but those are just the breeds I am more familiar with.

Quote:
Muscovy hens WILL set and usually more than once per season. I have one currently setting on her third nest this year.

Muscovies for certain! Not only will they set multiple clutches each year, they are also terrific Moms, protecting their young from all threats. They also can cover LOTS of eggs, and normally have a super hatch rate.

Back
Top Bottom