What is the best breed of Quail to go with?

Quote:
Dan, I'm sure that's true. In GA. Everyone wants bobs.
I have raised both (on a small scale) so far, and I prefer Coturnix for their faster growth rate and egg production. Weeks not months. The other reason I chose coturnix is because you need a permit in GA. to sell bobs and couldn't figure out how to go about getting one. It's like a trade secret or something.

As far as ease of raising one over the other; it's pretty much a wash to me. They both have their own little quirks, but once you know them, and deal with them, they are about the same as far as ease of raising. IMHO.
I haven't raised any buttons. I wanted to raise food, not pets.

Ken

yeah buttons wouldnt make much of an appetizer i can imagine
lau.gif

First off, congratulations to you and your roo for the 9 month incubation under way! Also best wishes for the 18+ year brooding process that follows.
smile.png

I don't know how I managed to offend 2 opposite ends of a spectrum when I think both are OK. I have never raised a button quail in my life but probably could.

Anyone interested in a brown coturnix as a pet. I will deliver within 20 miles of area code 30042. One+ male bird 6+ weeks old that is (singing or soon to be) $40. If you act now, 5lbs. of food included.
That may be how you sell pets. Not sure but 3 are going into the frying pan or freezer.
Or button McNuggets...for a limited time only!

Ken

So,

If I want something I can really hold and it not try to run, I should go with Jumbo Coturnix Quail.

Are they alot bigger than the Buttons?

Are they alot bigger than the REG. Coturnix Quail?

PHOTO

Can i see a pic of a Jumbo against someone's hand?

Japanese or coturnix quails are the best...

The only bad thing is you can't find the jumbo variety in Australia, hence I'm stuck with the regular ones. The wild brown colour is best as they are easy to sex at a young age and grow bigger than most other colours. They eat little, lay lots, grow very fast and taste great also.

Back
Top Bottom