1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is the best brown egg layer ??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cochin123, Dec 20, 2009.

1. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    what is the best brown egg layer , that is frendly , and will go broody ???? [​IMG]

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Probably Black Australorps. Although some people have had sex-links go broody, and they are often quite friendly.

Kathleen

3. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I would have to say Buff Orpington if you want a layer that will for sure go broody. Barred Rocks might, and some SL Wyandottes

Most other brown egg layers now are bred more for production and one of the traits to breed out is broodiness.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say Australorps... but I've never owned one.

For simple egg production, you can't beat a Black Sex link... my black star has only missed laying one day now since October 1st.

5. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    We make our own sex links with a RIR roo and BR hens, I think they are probably the best layers. We have BO's but they don't lay many eggs in a year, also our Black Astros seem to take a long time to lay and they are in the same pens as all the others. The sexlinks can be freindly and quiet OR loud and mean, it can go both ways, I think that applies to most breeds. I have BO's that are so loud after they lay, I just want to put a muzzle on them. I have had more BO's go broody than any of my other breeds.

6. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Buff Orpingtons. Mine have laid an extra large egg nearly everyday since they were old enough to lay this summer and haven't slowed down, even with the cold weather and shorter days without artificial light to encourage them.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My RIR is the only hen I have still laying in this freezing weather. One a day like clockwork!

8. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:At what age did they start laying ? [ Nothing implied , just curious about the breed and variety ]

Also , do black or whites orps generally perform on par with the buffs ?

9. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    Quote:where did you get them and how dark are the eggs ( pics )[​IMG]

10. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Buff Orpingtons! Mine go broody, and lay wonderfully.[​IMG]
    mine come up to me and rub against my legs like a kitty cat. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by